Looking for energetic, creative and empathetic afterschool teacher in a K to 5th grade afterschool
- Job posted by Agassiz Baldwin Community, A Cambridge Corporation
20 Sacramento Street
Do you love working with children? Are you creative, energetic and hardworking? Are you excited to support children and families during Out of School time? Do you want to work in a welcoming, supportive, inclusive, collaborative, committed, team-oriented environment that values your unique interests, talents, experiences and background? We want you on our team!
Agassiz Baldwin Community is a place that nurtures individual growth and creativity, builds connections, and serves as a forum for community advocacy.
We believe in:
- Welcoming and including everyone
- Lifelong learning
- Fostering a culture of creativity and cooperation
Our Afterschool program serves 1st-5th Grades by providing an engaging and enriching curriculum and daily activities that include organized sports and games, arts and crafts, cooking, homework assistance, and free activity time every day. Teachers are given the freedom to develop their activities based on their own talent and interest areas while considering student needs and curiosities. Each afternoon, children choose their activities from the menu of teachers’ options. Past activities and clubs have included jewelry making, philosophy, origami, gymnastics, juggling, batik, fashion design, gardening and more! The more creative your ideas, the better!
- Available and committed to teach weekday afternoons 2pm-6pm from September 2018 to June 2019 with additional hours for meetings, trainings, professional development and events.
- Experience working with children—teaching, tutoring, babysitting, coaching, mentoring, camp counseling, parenting, etc.
- CPR and First Aid certified or willingness to get certification
- Willingness to teach all types of activities--from high energy games to quieter, more focused activities
- Two years of college experience
- A deep, personal commitment to supporting all children to be their best and a strong sense of empathy for children’s diverse needs
- The ability to thrive in and enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work
- A spirit that reflects an openness to learn and a willingness to problem-solve
Commitments and Responsibilities:
- Prepare two 45 minute activities each afternoon that will engage, challenge, and excite children
- Support program requirements with preparation of snacks, maintenance of the space, pick up of children from buses or classrooms, and other duties as assigned
- Prioritize keeping children safe and accounted for throughout their time in after school
- Commit to 20 hours of Professional Development time throughout the year (paid)
- Bring your best self to work everyday and be prepared to work hard, contribute to a team, take initiative, be creative, and be a strong, consistent and positive role model to a diverse group of students
- Paid sick time
- Free dental insurance for employees working at least 20 hours/week
- Opportunities to work additional hours throughout the year
- Opportunity to receive vouchers for Lesley University classes
- Professional Development and opportunities to access professional learning communities
- Summer work
- Opportunities for reduced tuition for classes in our Maud Morgan Arts Programs upon supervisor approval
Minimum Education Required