3724 National Drive, Suite 100
Agency Description: Disability Rights North Carolina (DRNC), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is the only organization that provides free legal advocacy services to people with all types of disabilities, of all ages, throughout North Carolina. We are NC’s designated Protection and Advocacy agency and recognized leader in advancing disability rights, well established and positioned for growth. Learn more at www.DisabilityRightsNC.org.
Job Description: The Supervising Attorney for the Community Access Team leads DRNC’s efforts to ensure equal access to employment, housing, places of public accommodation, and the community by developing and implementing plans for effecting systemic change through legal advocacy. The Community Access Team engages in civil rights work related to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Housing Act, the Rehabilitation Act, and related provisions of state and federal law as they affect people with disabilities. We are seeking a leader for the Community Access Team with litigation skills and experience, and the ability to guide the work and professional development of three staff attorneys.
Job Duties include:
· Plan, develop, and oversee execution of DRNC’s annual program priorities/targets for the Community Access Team
· Provide supervision of assigned staff, manage Team caseloads, evaluate activities, and assist and consult with staff on individual cases
· Assist staff in developing legal and advocacy skills
· Ensure that activities of team members conform to the agency’s policies and
· Participate in the development and evaluation of litigation proposals
· Collaborate with other staff in the development of systemic activities, and support the work of other staff members, including sharing expertise in substantive areas
· Represent individual clients consistent with DRNC’s annual targets and selection criteria, including the development and implementation of all phases of case strategies and activities
· Analyze and interpret federal and state laws, rulings and regulations to stay
abreast of legal developments in disability law, and related fields
· Analyze statutes, regulations, and agency policies/procedures and draft analysis, as appropriate, in collaboration with DRNC policy staff
· Provide technical assistance to outside attorneys and advocates regarding the rights of individuals with disabilities
· Prepare and review reports, amicus briefs, articles and special projects, drafts legislation and proposed regulations
· Prepare written materials and conduct activities for the education and training of consumers, coalition partners, professionals, DRNC staff, members of the public, and others consistent with DRNC’s annual targets
· Cultivate and maintain relationships with subject area professionals and
advocates, including state officials and agency staff, providers, advocacy
organizations, pro bono attorneys, and community advocates
· Represent DRNC at coalition meetings, public hearings, stakeholder
groups, and/or task forces
· Mentor interns and paralegals
· Perform supervisory and administrative functions, prepare program activity reports, and maintain complete and accurate records in DRNC’s case management system
· Other related job duties as assigned.
· JD degree and admitted to practice law in North Carolina or eligible to sit for
the next Bar exam; five years of legal experience required, with civil litigation
experience strongly preferred
· Significant experience in a professional capacity in one or more of the subject areas relevant to the work of the Team
· Effective interpersonal communication skills
· Experience in supervision and management of staff
- Life experience with disability
- Experience in a legal services, nonprofit or public interest environment
- Ability to communicate in ASL, Spanish or another non-English language
Disability Rights NC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in any aspect of employment with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law. Individuals who increase the diversity of our team are encouraged to apply. We participate in E-verify.
Compensation Package that is competitive with other non-profits: The hiring range is $55,091-$88,729 depending on experience. Disability Rights NC offers excellent benefits which include 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, life and disability as well as generous paid time off and retirement plan with an employer match.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a detailed letter of interest explaining your qualifications and interest in the position and resume to email@example.com. Include Supervising Attorney in the subject line of the email.
Position will remain open until filled.