Special Education Teachers, 2018-2019 Academic Year (CT & NYC)
- Job posted by Capital Preparatory Schools
Elementary Teacher, 2018-2019 Academic Year
Special Education, K-12
Start Date: August 1, 2018
Location: Bridgeport, CT & Harlem, NYC
About Capital Preparatory Schools
Capital Preparatory Schools is a charter school management organization operating a network of educational communities. Our mission is to build a path where there was none. From its inception, the Capital Prep community—our students, parents, faculty, and staff—have come together to create a compelling and meaningful educational experience. The Capital Preparatory Schools, located in Bridgeport, Connecticut and New York, NY provides with a year-round education in a private school setting that encourages students to become scholars and agents of change.
Capital Preparatory Schools believes that all children, when given the right conditions and environment, will succeed and excel in their academic and social-emotional growth. This is achieved by blending elements of academic models that successfully support students from historically disadvantaged populations, with innovative approaches that get 100% of our graduates accepted to four-year colleges.
Focusing on the key attributes of leaders, our learner expectations are designed to develop students who are:
- information processors;
- problem solvers;
- knowledgeable people;
- responsible and empathetic citizens.
With the support of the Capital Prep team of skilled and compassionate educators, students realize their academic abilities, advocate for social justice and fulfill their civic responsibilities. As leaders of social justice, we expect our students to use their education to improve the lives of others.
Teaching at Capital Preparatory Schools
Capital Preparatory Schools is committed to teaching and learning that promotes the success of every student by:
- Creating a safe and enjoyable educational environment that encompasses our social justice model and that ensures every graduate moves on to attend college;
- Providing individualized instruction and enrichment opportunities for students to ensure that gifted students are challenged and struggling students are supported;
- Hiring and growing quality teachers and leaders and empowering them to use their craft to inspire students to achieve at the highest levels.
Capital Preparatory Schools seeks passionate educators to join our community for the 2017-18 academic year.
We are currently seeking Special Education teachers to provide high quality instruction to our Capital Prep students. The Special Education Teacher holds primary responsibility for providing academic, emotional, and physical services for students who require additional support to thrive within the school’s core academic program.
Teacher responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Create a safe, effective, student-centered learning environment that fosters student curiosity;
- Motivate students to put forth their best efforts in academics, athletics, activities, and personal conduct;
- Support students to recognize their full potential in all areas of human development;
- Build a bridge of communication and involvement with parents, families, and community leaders;
- Analyze data and use it to inform and drive instruction.
- Track and maintain IEP records for all special education students in K-12th grades
Professional development and learning
- Attend all professional development trainings, data team meetings, and curriculum meetings;
- Collaborate with peers and school leaders to improve instructional strategies, school climate, and leadership skills;
- Participate in professional trainings to enhance knowledge as well as educational and leadership capabilities.
- Effective classroom management strategies;
- Engaging instructional methods;
- Strong organizational, planning, and communication skills;
- Willingness to be collaborative and flexible, committed to self-improvement and holding self to the highest of expectations;
- Passion and enthusiasm for subject matter, along with content mastery.
- 3-5 years of teaching experience is preferred, first-year teachers are encouraged to apply;
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred;
- Candidate must possess a current credential in Special Education or be currently enrolled in a Special Education credentialing program
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Capital Preparatory Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire and promote without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Full benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please complete our online application: