Project Manager for Real Estate Development
Details: commensurate w/ experience
ASAP (*WSFSSH may be able to accommodate a part-time start with full-time commencing by July 2018)
About: WSFSSH is a non-profit housing development and management company that has been providing affordable housing to seniors and others in need for over 40 years. WSFSSH owns, manages, and provides supportive services in 26 buildings (in Harlem, the Bronx, and the West Side of Manhattan) serving over 2,000 individuals. WSFSSH specifically seeks to provide quality affordable housing and services to the elderly, homeless individuals, persons living with HIV/AIDS, individuals with mental illness, and others to enable them to live independently within the community.
WSFSSH’s real estate development focuses on new construction and substantial rehabilitation of housing units, often including complementary community facility and/or commercial spaces, as well as the acquisition and preservation of existing housing units to ensure their long-term affordability. The WSFSSH Development Team currently includes a Director, three Senior Project Managers (SPMs), and a Project Manager (PM).
WSFSSH currently has approximately 750,000 square feet in our development pipeline. The 7 pipeline projects encompass 860 units of housing, a 480-seat charter middle school, two senior centers, and two Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs). WSFSSH development projects are typically financed via debt financing, a range of local, state and federal capital grants; and equity proceeds from the sale of tax credits (i.e. Low Income Housing Tax Credits and Brownfield Tax Credits).
Description: The Project Manager for Real Estate Development (PM) will report to the WSFSSH Director of Real Estate Development and will work in collaboration with WSFSSH Senior Project Managers to facilitate a range of projects from pre-development through construction and permanent financing conversion. Commensurate with prior experience, the PM will both provide project support for major initiatives being overseen by the SPMs and may also serve as the lead project manager for stand-alone development initiatives in the pipeline.
General WSFSSH Development Department Responsibilities (Some or all may be assigned to PM):
1. Shepherd projects through the development cycle: concept, design, construction, & lease-up
2. Coordinate the architectural design process
3. Underwrite and secure capital and operating funding for projects
4. Coordinate and review project due diligence
5. Solicit, vet, and negotiate contractor and consultant proposals
6. Prepare closing/conversion memos and binders
7. Oversee projects in construction
8. Coordinate project transition from construction completion to ongoing management/maintenance
9. Organize and manage critical development documentation and its storage
Project Manager Specific Responsibilities
1. Prepare and update project underwriting (pro-forma)
2. Process and track pre-development and in-development expenditures
3. Prepare funding applications, grant requests, and other RFP responses
4. Facilitate architectural, land use, and budget approvals throughout the development cycle
5. Attend project pre-development meetings and construction site meetings
6. Organize community and tenant outreach and engagement
7. Manage significant components of larger development projects &/or smaller stand-alone development projects
8. Initiate and manage “special projects”(e.g. preparation of master design specifications to govern all WSFSSH development projects; tracking and risk analysis of subsidized senior and affordable housing in WSFSSH catchment areas, etc)
Qualifications: The successful applicant will have not only a demonstrable interest in and understanding of real estate development and finance, but also a passion for the mission oriented field of affordable and supportive housing. The applicant must be a strategic thinker, with a strong degree of initiative, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to effectively juggle multiple priorities while maintaining an attention to detail. Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills are requisite, as the applicant will be expected to regularly engage with both internal and external parties (i.e. architects, contractors, counsel, banks, WSFSSH staff, etc). The applicant must have experience utilizing Excel and be able to work both independently and collaboratively.
A graduate degree is preferred but not required (depending on prior work or academic experience). Relevant degrees may include fields such as Planning, Real Estate, Architecture, Public Policy, and Community and/or Economic Development.
Employment will be based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish preferred but not required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application: Interested applicants must send 1) a cover letter and 2) a resume by email to HousingDevJobs@wsfssh.org. The cover letter should provide the applicant’s salary requirements and indicate in detail how he/she meets the specific qualifications of the job. For more information about WSFSSH, please visit www.wsfssh.org.