401 Pacific Ave
The Academy of Alameda is a charter middle school formed as the result of a vision shared by parents, educators, and community members of Alameda who believe that a world-class education should be available to all students, and that all students are capable of academic excellence and full participation in their community and beyond regardless of race, economic status, or gender.
The Academy of Alameda is seeking a highly qualified and skilled After School Program Instructor, for the 2018-2019 School Year, who will be responsible for planning, leading, and implementing academic and recreational programs and experiences for middle school students. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. The incumbent will provide high quality educational and recreational experiences for participants that focus on the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and that align with the school’s curriculum to support the overall development and well-being of our students.
- Arrive 30 minutes before your program begins to sign in, receive updates, gather attendance sheet, and prepare for class.
- Bring a positive attitude along with a lesson plan, agenda, learning targets, and supplies.
- Proven ability to assist students in an academic environment with mathematics, reading, science and writing.
- Identify and respond to participant behavior issues.
- Ensure that the site is kept clean, organized, and free of litter.
- Communicate with parents about participant’s experiences and report concerns to Program Leadership.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance.
- Know and understand ALL emergency procedures associated with the after school program.
- Know, enforce, and follow all safety guidelines associated with the site and all program areas. This includes but is not limited to being responsible for your participant’s safety and their whereabouts at all times.
Background knowledge in:
- Recreational Games
- Theater Arts
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Mathematics)
- Arts & Crafts
- Upon hire, completion of First Aid and CPR Certification
- Education classes or experience in youth programs, recreation, working with children, or in a related field.
- Experience working with high-risk youth and youth who have been unsuccessful in receiving and benefiting from traditional educational services.
- Prior experience in a tutoring/mentoring environment.
- Ability to plan, design and implement lesson plans.
- Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
- Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct supervision.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to use discretion and confidentiality as required
- Liaise and maintain a harmonious working relationships with parents, students, school staff, volunteers and community members/organizations
- Be dependable, consistent, and responsible
- Be a self-starter and be able to work with minimal supervision
- Problem solve situations quickly and effectively
- Be able to share space respectfully and effectively
- Be flexible and able to fulfill tasks outside your regular duties when called necessary
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in activities which include, but are not limited to, academic enrichment, hiking, swimming, team building initiatives, physical games, and activities.
- Must have the ability to physically manage and support children when needed for safety in general program activities (child weighing 50 - 200 pounds).
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks outdoor in different climate.
- If applicable, ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- If applicable, physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- If applicable, hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- If applicable, remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- If applicable, see and observe all sections of an assigned zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- At least one of the following: AA, BA, Child Development Certificate, Transcripts Showing 48 Units of Higher Education, or passing of the County Para Professional Exam (issued at Alameda County Office of Education)
- Classroom Experience and Strong Classroom Management preferred
- Expertise in enrichment areas a plus (music, dance, sports, martial arts, theater arts etc.)
APPLICATION MUST INCLUDE:
- Resume and Cover Letter
- 2 Recent Professional Letters of Recommendation or references
Full time work with benefits negotiable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply at https://academyofalameda.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=37