To provide behavioral learning, skills, and support in the classroom and behavior management plans for special education students enrolled in Academy of Whole Learning, and to collaborate with teachers
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Use best practice strategies for teaching and learning activities; related to social, emotional and behavioral needs to a classroom of 8;
- Learn, understand and integrate our school’s philosophy and behavior management style;
- Know students’ strengths, areas of improvements, disability, interests, motivations, and emotional/behavioral triggers;
- Attend weekly staff meetings and professional development;
- Substitute for absent teachers as needed;
- Arrive at school by 8 am and work at least 8 hour days;
- Assist with clubs;
- Create engaging lesson plans with clear standards and objectives;
- Research appropriate curriculum and active learning activities for direct instruction for student social, emotional and behavioral learning;
- Offer an appropriate level of assistance to students to promote learner independence;
- Update parents on social, emotional, and behavioral progress (through progress reports, conferences, phone calls, and emails), as well as communicating achievements;
- Create a classroom in which student accomplishments are celebrated;
- Assist students in understanding their disabilities, and teach strategies and problem solving to help students develop skills for outside the classroom;
- Assist at special events,
- Monitor hallways, lunchroom, and recess as needed;
- Ask for clarification when needed;
- Show encouragement and support towards students and parents.
- Uses time productively;
- Follow policies in Employee Handbook;
- Complete other duties as assigned
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with a team on developing, re-examining, revising and implementing an integrated curriculum with integrated projects;
- Develop lesson plans focused on active learning that ensure the attainment of standards set forth by AOWL;
- Address individual needs of students through long and short term planning;
- Evaluate students’ progress on a continuous basis;
- Prepare individual student achievement reports for parents/guardians;
- Provide an inviting, exciting, innovative, and challenging learning environment;
- Engage in effective and appropriate classroom management;
- Involve families/guardians in the education process;
- Work effectively with parent volunteers;
- Collaborate with other staff members to create meaningful community learning opportunities and community-based partnerships;
- Participate in staff development programs;
- Collaborate with other staff members to form a positive, supportive team atmosphere;
- Work on committees and participate in the governance and development of the school;
- Maintain accurate and complete student records, and prepare reports on students as required by law, policies, and administrative regulations
- Use the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis
Education and Experience
- Must have a 4-year bachelor’s degree in a “related field” such as psychology, special education, speech, and language pathology, etc.”
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interactive effective with a variety of people and personalities inside and outside the organization
- Valid driver’s license and current automobile insurance required.
- Flexible traits that will thrive in a new learning environment.
- Expertise in working with students with autism spectrum disorder and/or related learning differences.
- Demonstrated experience in the instruction of students with varied learning styles and levels of mastery.
- Effective collaboration with families and student support staff
- Effective oral and written communication
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Identified classroom experience and teaming experience with special education and/or regular education students.
- Willingness to be held accountable for student results;
Rapport/ Interpersonal Skills
- Communicates in an agreeable, tactful manner
- Respects co-workers
- Takes directions well/follows directions
- Uses good listening skills
Job Type: Full-Time
Pay: $15.00 - $18.00 per hour
We've installed plastic barriers at the front desk, do health checks on all employees, clients, students, visitors, etc daily. We have a COVID Coordinator employee who researches and makes sure we are following guidelines and best practices.