Senior Communications Manager
Founded in 1990 and guided by the values of collaboration, depth and feminism, OutRight Action International strives to support lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTIQ) people to live safer, healthier, and more empowered lives worldwide. OutRight Action International’s vision of change includes policy reform, legal challenges, coalition initiatives, and stronger LGBTI communities worldwide.
OutRight currently seeks a Senior Communications Manager. This position is based out of our New York office.
The Senior Communications Manager develops and implements OutRight’s communications program, which proactively advances the interests of the organization’s policy and programmatic agendas. They manage all aspects of the communications program, under the supervision of the Deputy Executive Director.
- Conceptualize, plan, and apply press, social media, and public engagement strategies in all relevant media markets to advance OutRight’s mission.
- Elevate OutRight’s reputation and profile globally, and advance OutRight as a key resource for influential stakeholders internationally.
- Identify organizationally appropriate means to engage communities-at-large, online and in-person, in solidarity with LGBT communities globally.
- Write, edit and supervise production of content—including press releases, op-eds, newsletters, annual report, social media and web content.
- Ensure that public information about OutRight’s activities is consistently branded, accessible and communicated in OutRight’s voice.
- Appropriately and proactively respond to media requests, engage with media and pitch stories to support OutRight’s mission.
- Serve as an organizational spokesperson whenever necessary, in lieu of a member of the Leadership Team
- Initiate and nurture relationships with strategically placed media outlets internationally.
- Liaise with executive, development, program and operations to ensure organizational vision and branding is reflected in written output, fundraising, and hiring.
- A minimum of 7 years experience in communications work at an international NGO
- A deep political understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) human rights in a global context, as well as the ever-changing means in which media is delivered and consumed.
- Superior writing and editing skills (in English).
- A dexterity to work with rapid response, deliberation and consultation in regard to communicating complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Dedication to accuracy and strategy.
- Fluency in social media, digital marketing and web content strategies and development.
- A masterful knowledge of the intricacies of political movements and the best strategies to engage with and within them.
- A degree in Communications, Journalism, Human Rights, or an equivalent field is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Passionate commitment to the pursuit of liberation from persecution based on sexual orientation and/or gender identity or expression within the broader context of a desire to eliminate all intersecting forms of oppression.
- An ability to write and edit in a language other than English is highly desirable.
OutRight offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement contribution (with no match), professional development opportunities, cost of living adjustment and sabbatical opportunities.
Level of Language Proficiency
An ability to write and edit in a language other than English is highly desirable.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position, a resume/CV, and a writing sample relevant to the position to email@example.com. Please refer to "Senior Communications Manager" in the subject line.
OutRight Action International is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. People of color, transgender/gender-variant individuals, and individuals from the Global South are encouraged to apply.
Qualified candidates will be contacted. Please do not call.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 20, 2018.