Staff Attorney - Immigration
725 West Rosecrans Ave.
POSITION: Staff Attorney - Immigration
SUPERVISOR: Directing Attorney
WAGE RANGE: Depending on experience
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt Employee
LOCATION: Compton/Norwalk Office
Application Deadline: Continuous until position is filled
Legal Aid Society of Orange County (LASOC) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that was founded in 1958 for the purpose of providing civil legal services to low income individuals and seniors. It has two offices in Orange County and two offices in Southeast Los Angeles County, where it is known as Community Legal Services (CLS). LASOC seeks an experienced, energetic, motivated, personable and effective Staff Attorney to work in its Compton Office (visit www.legal-aid.com for more information about us). Under the supervision of the Directing Attorney, this position oversees all of the legal activities and staff in the Immigration Law unit, and to do sophisticated professional legal work on fairly complex civil cases.
● Active membership and good standing with the California State Bar;
● Two years of immigration experience;
● Administrative experience in immigration matters before USCIS and EOIR;
● Demonstrated knowledge of domestic violence and related immigration law preferred;
● Ability to deal with people empathetically and effectively;
● Demonstrated commitment to serving low income and the most vulnerable immigrant communities and survivors of domestic violence;
● Ability to meet grant deliverables and to prepare grant reports;
● Flexibility to work evenings and weekends to attend community events, outreach and engagement, hold and assist with legal clinics;
● Bilingual English/Spanish highly preferred.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
● Work both in Norwalk and Compton offices;
● Provide direct legal services to victims of domestic violence, trafficking and other serious crimes in immigration matters including Adjustment of Status Applications, U-VISAS, T-VISAS, VAWA Petitions, Asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, Naturalizations, and Removal Defense;
● Develop appropriate outreach materials and disseminate information about rights and benefits available to the immigrant community, including victims of domestic violence, trafficking and other serious crimes;
● Identify significant legal needs and issues for survivors of domestic violence in the areas of immigration and develop plans, including litigation and policy to address those needs;
● Outreach to immigrant communities where homeless and survivors of domestic violence are found;
● Conduct trainings and outreach to community-based organizations and community groups;
● Develop and coordinate legal clinics with volunteers and other community collaboratives;
● Coordinate with other assistance organizations in the area by providing referrals and implementing partner meetings to assure appropriate and efficient coverage of services;
● Ensure grant deliverables are met under various funding grants and to prepare all necessary narratives and reports for grant funding; and
● In conjunction with the Directing Attorney, recruit, train, and supervise volunteer attorneys and law students.
- Knowledge of legal principles and their application.
- Knowledge of rules of evidence and the conduct of court proceedings.
- Knowledge of legal research methods.
- Proficiency in Form Builder, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, etc.) and other software programs.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical, dental, LTD, 401k with employer contribution, life insurance, and FSA. Paid holidays | vacation | sick leave
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual English/Spanish highly preferred.
Minimum Education Required