Senior Communications Strategist - Intelligence Project
- Job posted by The Southern Poverty Law Center
The Senior Communications Strategist (Hate and Extremism) is responsible for developing and implementing a communications and media strategy that broadens national awareness of SPLC’s expertise on hate and extremism and other programs, increases visibility of its priorities, strengthens the public narrative on SPLC priorities, and promotes the organization’s message and brand. This position reports to the Communications Director.
The SPLC’s Intelligence Project monitors activities of domestic hate groups and other extremists and shares key intelligence and analysis about the radical right with the media, government officials and the public.
- Develop a deep understanding of SPLC’s priorities and create communications strategies to support the SPLC’s goals and objectives. This work will have an emphasis on hate and extremism, including anti-LGBT and anti-immigrant groups, but will include other SPLC priorities as needed;
- Implement and manage communications strategies that enhance the organization’s reach and further its strategic goals in collaboration with communications director and senior Intelligence Project staff;
- Develop effective messaging on SPLC priorities;
- Supervise communications associate;
- Write and edit press materials (including op-eds, letters to the Editor, press releases, statements etc.); create press lists; build and cultivate relationships with key members of state and national media; pitch stories and increase press outreach;
- Monitor and evaluate campaigns and press outreach strategies, contribute to regular internal communications reports, provide regular analysis on how to improve communications efforts;
- Promote and contribute to a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, a commitment to quality, and collaboration;
- Other tasks, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher is required;
- A minimum of 8 years professional experience in developing and implementing communications strategies with a track record of successfully positioning an organization or issue in a competitive environment;
- Exceptional writing/editing and verbal communications skills;
- Detail oriented, leadership skills, hands-on, team player, flexibility and strong interpersonal skills;
- Knowledge of current events and political landscape;
- Commitment to the SPLC’s values and mission;
- Prior leadership experience desired.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.
Minimum Education Required