The Navy League of the United States was founded in 1902 with the encouragement of President Theodore Roosevelt. The New York Council was the organization’s original council and is a founder of Fleet Week New York. We are a nonprofit 501(c)(3) military support organization that advocates for and supports the sea services — the U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, U.S. Coast Guard and U.S.-flag Merchant Marine. We also believe in developing the next generation of our country’s leaders through youth programs that teach duty, honor and respect, and develop informed and responsible citizens.
The New York Council Navy League currently seeks a full-time development and membership director to help us meet our recruiting, retention and fundraising goals.
- Increase Council fundraising through a combination of fundraising events, corporate sponsorship and philanthropic outreach
- Help grow and diversify the Council’s membership base through recruiting programs, events and communications campaigns
- Increase membership retention and engagement
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work closely with the Council Vice President of Development and Executive Director to recommend development strategy and policies to the Council President and Board of Directors, including long-range planning
- Create, promote and execute events, programs and campaigns to achieve development-related strategic goals as approved by the Council Board of Directors
- Train Board members and create tools to help them reach their give/get expectations
- Maintain and further cultivate relationships with donors base
- Generate donation acknowledgments and maintain donor records in CRM
- Work closely with the Council Vice President of Membership and Executive Director to recommend membership strategy and policies to the Council President and Board of Directors
- Create, promote and execute events, programs and campaigns to achieve strategic goals for member recruiting, retention and engagement as approved by the Council Board of Directors
- Serve as primary point of contact for member inquiries and process membership applications
- Develop robust and effective member communications
- Update member records regularly and maintain data in CRM
- Other tasks as needed to support Council success
- Although specific responsibilities are outlined above, this role requires collaboration and teamwork to support the mission and operations of the Council as a whole, even when outside of the role’s primary responsibilities
- Eight years’ combined experience with nonprofit fundraising efforts and membership recruiting and retention programs
- Must be a creative self-starter and strategic thinker with a passion for service
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Experience with database management
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office; proficiency in InDesign and Photoshop is a plus
- Must be web and social media savvy, with experience making website updates and using email marketing platforms
The Membership and Development Director reports to the Executive Director, and will serve as a staff liaison to the Council’s Development and Membership committees. The position also requires interaction with members of the Council, existing and potential donors and corporate sponsors.
Hours and Location
Our staff is currently working a hybrid schedule of remote and in-office days, but expects to return to in-office work in the next few months. This full-time weekday position requires occasional virtual and in-person attendance at evening and weekend events.