Full Time Contract
4015 Main Street
About the Organization: Starfinder is a nonprofit 501(c)3 that promotes positive youth development through high-quality youth sports programming. We use soccer as a framework to provide the opportunity and support youth need to be healthy contributors to their communities. We offer young people an experience through which they can excel in athletics, while practicing life and character development skills in a safe, fun, supportive, and challenging environment.
Starfinder primarily works with high school youth throughout the school year. During the summer months, Starfinder offers program opportunities to elementary, middle, and high school youth. At Starfinder, we believe in the power of play. Fun is a great emotional motivator and can be a useful tool for learning. We are dedicated to creating a culture that provides an opportunity to connect, learn, and grow from one another. We live our core values by modeling each value through our work and putting our best self forward for others to see. For more information, visit starfinderfoundation.org.
About the Position: The Starfinder Culture Coordinator, Up2Us Coach is a challenging and rewarding one-year service position offering valuable experience and opportunity for professional growth within the sports-based youth development field.
The Starfinder Culture Coordinator, Up2Us Coach is an AmeriCorps position through Up2Us Sports, and not paid directly by Starfinder. Up2Us Sports harnesses the power of sports to reduce youth violence, promote health, and inspire academic success for kids in every community. Up2Us Sports’ flagship program is the Up2Us Coach program, a national coach/mentor program that trains, places, and supports coaches to provide meaningful experiences to youth in a variety of sports programs nationwide.
Develop and enrich opportunities for teens contribute to, and take part in, the Starfinder culture:
- Coordinate intentional activities and rituals to foster a safe, welcoming space, create lasting relationships, and build a strong community.
- Create mechanisms to solicit, collect, record, and communicate feedback from program participants.
- Provide structure through which teens can interact, have fun, learn, and grow.
Design, plan, and implement a calendar of events to compliment the leadership curriculum and build life readiness skills:
- Organize, facilitate, and chaperone monthly community service projects and college trips for youth participants to participate, including developing new partnerships and service opportunities based on youth interests.
- Manage correspondences, including weekly emails, slideshow updates, and announcements.
Help make Starfinder a great place to work
- Plan, schedule, and execute program staff outings, socials, team-building events, and trainings
Organize and oversee Youth Council, including running meetings, helping to plan fundraisers, and liaising between program participants and program staff.
Develop and implement recruitment strategies for various Starfinder Programs.
- Research and attend school events, soccer games, resources fairs, etc. to promote Starfinder programs in the community.
Serve as a Coach Mentor to assigned cohort(s)
- Support and facilitate daily program activities (including: soccer and fitness, relationship building and mentorship, character development, and academic support).
- Model Starfinder’s core values and encourage participants develop a growth mindset -- to connect, learn, and grow from one another. Foster the development of respect and trust of the community and youth served.
- Using techniques from Starfinder and Up2Us Sports’ trainings, encourage participants to develop and practice life readiness skills through sport.
- Mentor student-athletes. This includes group and individual meetings with mentees over the course of the program year; checking-in frequently with your mentees on their attendance, character, academic and soccer development; recording daily notes on you mentees progress.
Complete requirements of Up2Us Coach (AmeriCorps) program as outlined in Up2Us Coach contract.
- Complete the minimum required hours of service and training by the last day of coach contract.
- Attend Up2Us Coach Training Institute (August 18th-21st) and all other required meetings, trainings, orientations, special initiatives, and days of service.
- Submit bi-monthly reflections logs and timesheets.
Directly support Starfinder team members in providing a high quality service to our communities and youth.
Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Qualifications
- A passion for Starfinder’s mission, enthusiasm for sports-based youth development
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to successfully work with a team
- Self-driven; ability to take initiative, follow-through, and meet deadlines
- Belief in and intentional practice of a growth mindset (i.e. that leadership skills can be taught)
- Background screening (criminal, child abuse, and FBI clearance)
- Proficiency with Office programs (Word, Excel)
- Ability to work after school hours regularly; including evenings and weekends
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Flexibility, solutions-orientation, and eagerness to learn
- Previous experience working with youth in diverse communities strongly preferred
- Experience with databases a plus
- Experience playing or coaching soccer
- Fluency in multiple languages a plus
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle strongly preferred
- Safety certifications (CPR, First Aid)
- Associates degree or higher
Starfinder's mission requires that our staff interact with and understand a broad array of cultures, backgrounds, and orientations. We value having a talented team that reflects the population we serve, who come from diverse backgrounds and traditions, and vary by race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, nationality, culture, religion, and abilities. We encourage individuals to apply who are eager to contribute to a positive, inclusive, participatory learning environment and help reinforce an atmosphere of mutual respect.
Compensation and Benefits: This is a one year, full-time Up2Us Coach, position paid directly through the Corporation for National and Community Service’s (CNCS) AmeriCorps program. Once hired, you will receive a modest living stipend (set at the poverty level of the service city) of approximately $15,105 and be eligible for an Education Award of $5,920 after completing 1700 hours of service and all requirements in Up2Us Coach contract.
Reports To: Program Director
The position begins on August 1, 2018 and ends on July 31, 2019.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How To Apply:
- All jobs descriptions, requirements, and benefits are available on our online employment portal. After reviewing the description, you can apply directly to Starfinder clicking on the Apply for this Job at the bottom of the posting. You will need to submit a cover letter and resume.
- No phone calls.
- Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, early application is highly encouraged.