The 1.3 million-member United Food and Commercial Workers International Union (UFCW), a powerful voice for working men and women, is seeking a talented writer and thorough editor to serve as Content Lead in our fast-pace digital organizing office.
Our growing digital organizing team captures and amplifies the stories of retail workers nationwide while defining the UFCW brand to non-union audiences. The team works collaboratively and creatively to craft compelling content that informs, inspires, engages, and pushes people to take action to make retail jobs better.
The team seeks an innovative and enterprising Content Lead to spearhead UFCW’s digital organizing content program. This is an opportunity for an experienced professional to take the lead in building our union’s voice and content strategy for organizing campaigns with non-union workers.
This person will develop content for UFCW’s organizing campaigns in order to increase the union’s online influence and engagement. The Content Lead will also play a key role in first creating and then maintaining the content process that will convey the stories of our union and its members. The right candidate will feel comfortable with the fact that we haven’t yet established “the only way we do digital content around here”—and the ideal candidate will cite that fact as a reason they’re hungry to tackle the job. Compassion for others and a commitment to supporting working people struggling to have a better life are musts.
The Content Lead will work in our DC office and require
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES
- Manage and guide digital organizing content strategy: Designs and implements UFCW’s content strategy for digital organizing, including developing and fulfilling a content mission, strategic approach, content pillars, and an effective, flexible digital content calendar. We want someone curious about developing the strategic arm of any good digital content plan who demonstrates, above all, a sense of autonomy, warmth and flexibility.
- Creates and share strategic content: Manage the editorial calendar, acting as strategist and copywriter when needed. Develop, edit, and proofread content of all types—from website copy to social media posts. Most frequent content needs include social media posts (often supported by simple graphics, photos and/or short—including live—videos), text messages, website copy, emails, and flyers. Create written and graphic stories of member victories for advocacy campaigns to be shared across priority platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and UFCW web pages. Then manage the distribution of that content across Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, monitoring post performance and working with organizers to maximize post engagement and reach.
- Develops UFCW’s message, voice, and brand: We need a rare breed: a natural-born writer with a strong voice who can align their personal writing talent with a professional brand voice while simultaneously proving their meticulous attention to detail. (We’ve intentionally left at least one grammar error in this job posting; please address the error in your cover letter.) Identify industry stories, trending topics, and generate content to support specific UFCW brand positioning and campaign efforts.
- Skills that would equal 2 - 5 years of experience as a content development specialist, manager, or communications professional.
- Strong ability to write concisely, clearly and quickly.
- Fluency working with social media platforms and digital means of communication (websites, texting, online, email, video, etc.) and eagerness to adapt to the latest trends.
- Ability to create a strategic communications calendar that is driven by and responsive to the UFCW Digital Organizing Team’s goals.
- Ability to distill broad UFCW & specific campaign goals to specific content and messaging that upholds the overall brand voice across digital platforms.
- Solid understanding of search engine optimization fundamentals and best practices.
- Interpersonal aptitude and ability to work both in a team and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once.
- Good eye for graphic design (extensive design experience is not required).
- Must be results-oriented and highly organized, with the ability to prioritize projects and activities.
- Must possess to ability to think strategically and exercise a high level of judgment.
- A familiarity with or eye for design.
- Experience working in a retail environment.
- Knowledge of organizing, and how to craft messages for organizing.
- Experience with Action Network.
- HTML & CSS knowledge.
- Fluency in a second language (ideally Spanish).
* Applications without a cover letter & writing samples will not be considered.
UFCW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified people of all backgrounds to apply.
UFCW is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).