Civil Rights Attorney
Schedule type: Full-time (Exempt, Salary position)
Location: Office located in Mesa, A. Requires travel throughout the state of Arizona.
CAIR-AZ is seeking a full-time Civil Rights Attorney with a demonstrated commitment to public interest advocacy and serving diverse communities. We are looking for a motivated individual with experience who will be expected to identify, strategize, and use creative legal and grassroots advocacy solutions to address systematic issues facing the American Muslim community.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Manage a caseload of 60-80 intakes per year.
· Perform in-depth legal research.
· Legal writing including, but not limited to, drafting complaints, letters, and memos; and non-legal writing including drafting community advisories, issue briefings, and reports
· Speak publicly on behalf of CAIR-AZ at presentations and events
· Communicate with outside parties such as attorneys, employers, law enforcement agents, administrative agencies, etc.
· Work to educate and empower diverse community members on their rights through community presentations and material distributions.
· 2-5 years relevant experience, as well as law degree from an American Bar Association accredited school.
· Must be licensed to practice law in the State of Arizona or eligible to waive in.
· Passion for CAIR’s mission and values
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Self-directed individual, strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple ongoing initiatives
· Familiarity, knowledge and experience working with the American Muslim community
· Work experience with a non-profit organization or in a related field
· Willingness and flexibility to change job requirements as the team grows
· Salary is commensurate with skills and experience
Please send (1) a cover letter, (2) resume, (3) three references to: email@example.com with the subject line “Civil Rights Attorney.”
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. CAIR-AZ is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required