Full Time Contract
Details: Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
CommonWise Managing Director of Strategy and Planning
Commonwise is building a sustainable, equitable, and democratic Bronx economy that creates shared wealth and ownership for low-income people of color. We are doing this by developing a network of diverse partners and community enterprises—known as the Bronx Community Enterprise Network—which currently includes four major projects:
- A Policy and Planning Lab, a center for economic democracy planning and policy development—by, with, and for the Bronx
- The BronXchange, an online marketplace that connects Bronx institutions and nonprofits with high-road, local businesses in order to localize purchasing and build community wealth
- The Bronx Innovation Factory is digital fabrication center and business incubator focused on expanding local production capacity in the Bronx to support advanced manufacturing businesses with shared ownership models
- An Economic Democracy Learning Center, which prepares current and future partners to participate and lead the network; cultivates a culture rooted in economic democracy principles; and advances the collective understanding and knowledge of economic democracy based on experiences in the Bronx and from around the world
Job Title: Managing Director of Strategy and Planning
Responsibilities: The Managing Director of Strategy and Planning will be responsible for:
- Developing and managing the Planning and Policy Lab – one of the core infrastructure projects of BCDI - and working collaboratively with the team to implement short and medium range projects while developing a participatory long-term development plan for the Bronx.
- Coordinating and working closely with the lead for BCDI programs at the MIT Community Innovators Lab, which has been supporting the development of BCDI.
- Supervising key CommonWise staff, and specifically the operations team, which includes finance, development, and communications.
- Leading strategy development - this role requires a structural and systems methodology to developing strategy as well as a long-term view and highly creative approach.
- Collaborating with a broad range of multi sector stakeholders (i.e. community, labor, anchor institutions, business, finance, academic, and government) to inform the direction of the strategy for BCDI.
- Holding key strategic and institutional relationships, including community and labor leaders, anchor institution executives, elected and government agency officials, academics and foundation officers.
Only applications that include both a resume and cover letter will be considered.
Comprehensive Benefit Package
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Managing Director of Strategy and Planning” in the subject line. Resumes without cover letters will be discarded. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
People of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.
CommonWise Education is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discriminatory employment actions and treatment against employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, source of income, past incarceration, status as a victim of an intrafamily offense, or place of residence or business. Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination, which is prohibited by law, as is harassment based on any of the above-protected categories.