The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has an immediate opening for a Regional Digital Advocacy Campaign Director.
NRDC is the country's most effective environmental action group with more than 3 million Members and online activists. Its staff of nearly 500 attorneys, scientists and policy analysts works to protect the environment through courtroom action, legislative campaigns and grassroots online activism.
NRDC is increasingly focusing on winning key environmental fights in cities, states, and regions around the U.S., and in taking a regional advocacy approach to federal policy issues. This new position will build a regionally-focused digital advocacy strategy and, over time, a team of digital campaigners to dedicated to supporting growing regional advocacy teams in the Northeast, West, and Midwest to mobilize Members, activists and supporters to take action on local, state and federal advocacy issues.
Ideal candidates will have strong digital advocacy skills and experience, at both the federal and local and state levels (state legislatures, governors, state agencies, etc.), and experience managing staff or volunteers.
The position reports to the Senior Director of Digital Advocacy and Fundraising. We will prioritize candidates who can work in our New York office, but we will consider candidates in Washington, D.C. Candidates must have an ability to travel.
- Develop, launch and manage multi-channel advocacy and fundraising campaigns related to local, state and national policy issues. Key campaign tactics will include email, petitions, donations, digital ads, call-in days, events, social media, mobile tools, phone calls, website content marketing, and more.
- Work with planning teams to develop regionally-focused digital advocacy strategies that help achieve both national and regional campaign goals.
- Overtime, build out and manage a team of regionally-focused digital campaigners.
- Write and edit email action alerts, eNewsletter blurbs, campaign plans, SMS alerts, creative briefs, online video scripts, copy for graphics, and more.
- Assist in managing paid and earned email acquisition strategies, especially in key states and regions, including online advertising, list chaperoning, email list appends, and organic cross marketing tactics.
- Represent NRDC at some local offline advocacy events
- Respond to email and phone call inquiries from local activists and supporters.
- Work to ensure successful promotion and engagement of our campaigns on social media.
- Develop and incorporate testing strategies into campaigns.
- Assist in development reports summarizing the results of multi-channel campaigns.
- Applicants should have a minimum of two years professional experience in digital advocacy and fundraising, or organizing -- ideally with experience working on progressive local or national advocacy causes and/or political or electoral campaigns.
- Experience managing staff, freelancers or volunteers.
- Knowledge of digital engagement best practices is critical.
- Strong writing and editing skills are a must, including experience writing direct response advocacy and fundraising emails and the ability to adapt writing style to a pre-existing "voice." Must also understand email and web copy writing best practices, demonstrated ability to produce copy that is clear, compelling and motivating, and can turn around copy on a same-day basis when news developments warrant it.
- Experience with local offline or field is a plus.
- Strong communications skills are a must, including the ability to coordinate well with field staff, local activists, partners, allies, etc.
- Experience producing and analyzing response rates reports in Excel.
- Working knowledge of eCRMs (Luminate Online, Salesforce, Salsa, Engaging Networks, etc.) and their technical capabilities as they relate to digital strategy and campaign planning is a plus.
- Candidates with a deep concern for the natural world, a belief in the power of grassroots action to make a difference and a commitment to using a large membership and online citizen network to help protect the environment are preferred.
- Applicant must be able to master complex issues, take direction, turn around plans and campaigns quickly and meet strict deadlines.
Minimum Education Required