Details: Competitive salary (from mid-$50K depending on experience)
151 West 30th Street
New York Lawyers for the Public Interest (NYLPI), a community-driven civil rights organization, seeks a Community Organizer in its Environmental Justice Program.
The Environmental Justice Program takes on issues ranging from the systemic clustering of pollution sources in low-income communities and communities of color, to the presence of dangerous toxins in public schools, to the urgent and unequally distributed burdens of climate change. It addresses these issues through a variety of strategies including organizing and coalition building, policy and legislative advocacy, use of the media, and litigation.
The Community Organizer will be an integral part of the Environmental Justice team, working alongside attorneys, advocates, and diverse clients and coalition partners to develop and implement the program’s campaigns and cases.
- Commitment to environmental justice and to racial, social, and economic justice work.
- At least three years of relevant community or labor organizing or experience.
- Experience working with coalitions of community members and community-based organizations in the context of advocacy campaigns.
- Excellent strategic judgment and the drive to effectuate challenging campaigns.
- Strong writing, organizational, analytical, and public speaking and other communication skills. Ability to work both collaboratively and independently and to juggle multiple tasks under time constraints.
- Flexibility, creativity, and initiative.
- Experience with environmental justice campaigns.
- Experience using social media and digital engagement strategies to advance campaign goals.
- Strong proficiency in Spanish
- Strategic research and policy analysis experience is a plus.
Comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including health insurance, short- and long-term disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan, and fifteen (15) days of vacation during the first year of employment.
Level of Language Proficiency
Strong Proficiency in Spanish Preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send applications by October 12, 2018 to email@example.com with the words “Attention: Environmental Justice Organizer Position.” Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and must include:
- Detailed cover letter explaining your interest, passion, and experience, and answering the following required question: How have your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural competency and diversity? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences. Please mention where you saw this posting in your cover letter.
- Writing sample
- Three references (including daytime telephone numbers)
We strongly encourage candidates fluent in multiple languages and candidates from historically oppressed groups to apply. We are committed to advancing social justice and civil rights in our advocacy, and we value the dynamism and perspective that staff diversity brings to the work and culture of the office. We strive to promote behaviors, attitudes and policies that enable us to work inclusively and effectively in cross-cultural situations with clients, co-workers, and community partners. We actively recruit and seek to grow and maintain a staff that is diverse along many axes, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, and national origin; disability; socioeconomic background; and sexual orientation and gender identity.