71 West 23rd Street
AFS Intercultural Programs (afs.org), a dynamic leader in the field of international education, is seeking an experienced, globally-minded, strategic thinking Head of Digital and IT. The AFS Network (“Network”) consists of 60 partner organizations with over 1,000 staff and 50,000 volunteers and close to 500,000 alumni worldwide. AFS is an international, voluntary, non-governmental, non-profit organization that provides intercultural learning opportunities to help people develop the knowledge, skills and understanding needed to create a more just and peaceful world.
As the organization’s Head of Digital and IT, the selected candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of the organization’s global digital strategy, as well as supporting the wider strategic projects and goals of the organization. Beyond this, the Head of Digital and IT will be responsible for managing vendor and stakeholder relationships and leading the digital and ICT activities.
The Head of Digital and IT oversees all digital platforms and tools, and is responsible for maintaining their integrity.
- Set vision for digital future of AFS Network and create an effective, competitive digital framework for all digital platforms and tools currently used by AFS, or going to be introduced as a recommendation of strategic projects.
- Provide leadership over all digital tools and platforms, including Global Link (the custom-developed database system), the new participant application and lead management system (Salesforce), AFS website, Workplace, online learning platform, as well as the overall IT architecture.
- Rethink the current digital architecture, redesign it with enhanced integrity and more flexibility for integration of further digital tools.
- Maintain an overview of directions and new relevant developments in digital and ICT that may hold promise for AFS.
- Work closely with the Data Protection Officer and be an active member of the data protection team, to ensure that adequate organizational and technical measures are in place at AFS to safeguard personal data and comply with data protection laws and policies.
- Develop an annual budget and work plan for ICT in cooperation with other departments and key suppliers taking into account resource needs and availability.
- Develop a strategic, long-term plan for all information services provided by AFS to the Network, in line with the Network Strategy
- Perform a significant customer service role toward the Network by ensuring that services are provided in a timely manner, are of high quality and meet Network needs.
- Provide effective strategic leadership and consultation to the President and to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) regarding the information systems so that it aligns with and supports the strategic plan and goals of the organization. The Head of Digital and IT reports directly to the CFO.
- Lead the multi-department digital tools group and align operational management of digital tools with ultimate decision making authority in digital and IT issues
- Provide direct supervision and management of the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Team consisting of 2 members with direct reporting line to the Head of Digital and IT
- Manage relationship with a number of long term vendors
- Master’s degree preferred in Information Systems
- At least 5 to 7 years of experience in the field on Management Information Services
- Previous leadership, management and supervisory experience
- Ability to plan and organize strategically, develop and drive ideas from conception to completion, and be very goal oriented
- Strong business acumen
- Experience with change management
- Strong knowledge of contracting and negotiating, organization development
- Capability of working with a wide range of cultures and people with different levels of experience in a manner that is team-oriented
- Travel abroad may be required
Medical and dental insurance
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluent English. Knowledge of another language is a plus
Minimum Education Required