21 Queen Street
Afterschool Group Leader – 18.5 hours per week with potential to increase to full time
Start Date: August 20, 2018
Applicants must be able to work from 3:00 to 6:00 pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays and from 11:00 am to 5:30 pm on Wednesdays. There may be the possibility of additional hours as the school year progresses. This position is school year only (end of August until mid-June) but has the potential to become a summer position.
Neighborhood House Charter School is a public charter school located in Dorchester serving 450 students in grades K-7. We have an afterschool program for about 120 NHCS students each day until 6pm. NHCS is searching for Afterschool Group Leaders to work as part of a team under the supervision of the Out of School Time (OST) Manager in designing and executing dynamic and safe activities for children in the afterschool program.
Each group leader is responsible for the safety and active engagement of a cohort of children ranging in age from 4 to 13. Responsibilities include creating and running quality programming while modeling positive behavior and leadership skills. Each group leader will also be responsible for cleanup at the end of the day and for establishing and maintaining good relations with parents of afterschool program children. Many Wednesdays we will have field trips from 1:00 pm to approximately 5:00 pm.
Group Leader Role
- Plan and implement educational and recreational activities including sports and games, arts and crafts, science and other projects;
- Adhere to policies and procedures in a proactive manner, making the safety and care of children your primary focus;
- Build a positive relationship with each Afterschool participant in your care and foster positive connections between participants;
- Conduct yourself professionally, as each Group Leader represents our school to other school staff, parents, children and visitors to the school;
- Effectively manage assigned group;
- Create a cohesive and effective staff team;
- Safely and effectively supervise students to and from field trip sites;
- Put away all equipment and supplies at the end of each day;
- Actively participate in all weekly meetings and staff development initiatives;
- Maintain open, professional and constructive communication with parents and guardians; and
- Be able to lift and carry up to 25 pounds
Required Hours/Skills Experience
- At least one year’s experience working with children in a child care, educational or camp setting; and
- Associate’s Degree preferred
In addition, we require the following from all of our staff:
- A passionate commitment to urban education;
- Belief that every child can be successful, no matter what their background;
- Belief that education and hard work are the keys to life success;
- Belief in two messages, simultaneously, in balance: “We love you” and “We have the highest expectations of you – and you can and will meet them”;
- Belief that the best learning happens through experiences that are both rich and structured;
- Belief that problems are hurdles, not roadblocks, and that there is a solution if a student is willing to work harder, smarter, and more creatively;
- Belief that teachers must learn and influence social emotional strengths of all children in and out of the classroom;
- Desire to continually reflect and grow as an educator through professional development, peer feedback, and observation;
- Belief in a school community where students, families, teachers and school leaders demonstrate accountability, flexibility, humor, effort, responsibility, respect and hope.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse staff. Please send a resume and a compelling letter of interest via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “After School Group Leader” in the subject field. Thank you for your interest in our school.
Neighborhood House Charter School is an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity for all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, genetic information, age, disability, marital status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. Further, any form of discrimination or harassment related to these factors is expressly prohibited.
Minimum Education Required