633 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
The Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Washington, DC that creates ideas that improve the socioeconomic status and civic engagement of Black communities. Founded in 1970 to support newly-elected Black officials who were moving from civil rights activism into governance, the Joint Center quickly evolved into America’s Black think tank. Currently, the Joint Center is focused on diversifying congressional staff, equipping workers with skills to succeed in the evolving economy, and developing a one-stop policy shop with solutions to various challenges that confront Black communities.
The Digital Communications Specialist oversees the production of the Joint Center’s newsletter, blog posts, press statements, social media, and manages the Joint Center’s website. In addition to making the Joint Center’s work accessible to its stakeholders, the Specialist monitors, aggregates, vets, and makes accessible the most important research, data, and policy about Black communities by others (e.g., think tank experts, scholars, advocacy groups). While strong writing, editing, and social skills are required, we also want someone open to learning how to manage Constant Contact distribution and produce infographics, animated policy videos, videos of events, and podcasts. The Digital Communications Specialist will be a key player in advancing the organization’s ambition to be the leading think tank for policy issues that affect Black communities. This role requires a combination of organizational skills, problem-solving skills, and self-motivation.
OBJECTIVES / RESPONSIBILITIES
● Writes blog posts and monthly newsletter with input of staff.
● Manages distribution of newsletter and other items via Constant Contact.
● Updates and maintains organization’s website.
● Works with Joint Center leadership to develop annual digital plan.
● Monitors organization’s social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn); regularly updates content; ensures all accounts are following key Joint Center stakeholders.
● Coordinates with Joint Center staff to design communications and social media plans for events and roll outs of publications, and helps with plan coordination and implementation.
● Monitors the most important research, data, policy, and policy news relevant to Black communities by others (e.g., think tanks, academics, advocacy groups, news publications), and disseminates it to the Joint Center community in an accessible and engaging manner through the Joint Center’s newsletter, blog, and social media accounts.
● Reviews the language and design of Joint Center’s reports, policy briefs, and data briefs to ensure they are accessible and useful to Black communities.
● Consistently follows the Joint Center’s communications principles (including style guide), and updates as appropriate.
● Designs infographics, fact sheets, and other graphics using Canva, Photoshop, InDesign, or similar software.
● Creates animated videos to accompany reports, policy briefs and other organizational materials using Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere, or similar software.
● Films organization events and any panels on which Joint Center staff might speak; edits and uploads footage to YouTube and website in a timely manner; livestream events when allowed.
● Assembles and maintains lists of media contacts.
● Records audio from events and panels and creates podcasts on SoundCloud.
● Supports staff with layout and design of materials needed for events as needed including but not limited to posters, agendas, programs, etc.
● Takes initiative and provides support in implementing any task that may aid in the development and growth of the Joint Center.
● Responds professionally when confronted with changes, adversity, and other work-related pressures.
● Maintains a good working relationship with the Joint Center staff and stakeholders.
● Upholds a strict level of confidentiality.
● Maintains a high level of professionalism.
● Performs other duties as assigned.
This is a full-time position. The position comes with a generous salary based on the experience and qualifications of the candidate and a benefits package that includes health, vision, dental, and life insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
● Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, or similar field.
● Excellent reading comprehension, writing, and editorial skills.
● Ability to adopt and consistently follow the Joint Center’s writing style, and update it as appropriate.
● Strong skills in Microsoft Word and Google Docs, with an ability to become familiar with other programs and software such as Adobe, other Microsoft Office software (e.g., PowerPoint, Excel), and other programs.
● Excellent verbal communication and an ability to listen attentively and respond promptly to concerns.
● Familiarity with multiple social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn).
● Interest in the advancement of Black communities.
● Organized self-starter with ability to work individually and as part of a team.
● Ability to think strategically, juggle multiple priorities, adjust to changing circumstances, resolve problems creatively and logically, and organize time efficiently.
● Strong interpersonal skills, and a friendly, professional, and supportive demeanor.
● Clearly conveys and receives information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the listener, helps them understand and retain the message, and invites response and feedback. Keeps others informed as appropriate.
● Attention to detail and commitment to meeting deadlines.
● Gracefully accepts performance-based feedback.
● Excellent references.
● 4 years of relevant work experience.
● The following skills are preferred, but a willingness to learn the following is required:
• Graphic design & video editing skills.
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects, etc.)
• Filming events with camera equipment (Canon XA35 & DSLRs).
• Using mass marketing tools such as Constant Contact or AWeber.
• Creating and maintaining a listserv.
• Understanding of basic HTML code.
• Website management.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter explaining interest in the position, a resume listing relevant qualifications, and one writing sample as one document to email@example.com in PDF format with “DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST” in the subject line by Friday, August 3, 2018. No phone calls please.