Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the potential of youth in under-resourced communities and equip them for high school, college and career success. BUILD’s unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As students journey through high school and continue to grow their businesses, BUILD helps them explore college and career options, and assists students with the college application process. Entrepreneurship is the hook – college, career, and life success are the goals.
BUILD currently serves approximately 2,000 high school students annually at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City and Boston.
BUILD believes in the potential of every student and is dedicated to breaking down the educational, economic and social barriers that stand in the way of their long-term success. The remarkable young men and women whom we serve are at the center of everything we do. We are intentional about our culture so that we can best support them. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity, equity and inclusion, including cross-cultural understanding. We work in a collaborative environment where flexibility, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged and celebrated. Kindness, empathy and respect are at the forefront of the way we treat each other, our students, our teachers and our supporters.
Reporting to the Program Director, the Program Associate (PA) is responsible for supporting our students in the E1 and E2 program, our school partners, and BUILD NYC Program staff. The PA will support many facets of the program including communication with BUILD students and families, The PA will provide in-classroom and administrative support, managing our data collection and entry into Salesforce and planning major events. The PA will support our program-wide student engagement efforts, join BUILD sessions and build a rapport with our school partners. The PA will gain a deep understanding of program delivery, data management, and student engagement strategies in the non-profit profit spaces.
Program Operations and Data Management:
● Work closely with the E1 and E2 Program Manager to facilitate and track student and family engagement efforts to ensure that that all students are accounted for and families notified on any important program updates
● Manage collection of necessary student and school paperwork and ensure it is completed and on file for operational and legal compliance
● Outreach to students and families related to support, attendance, paperwork, events, etc.
● Collect and enter program data with accuracy and timeliness into Salesforce
● Work closely with Program Manager to ensure seamless support of program implementation across schools and program years including attended designated BUILD sessions to provide student support, ordering, organizing and distributing supplies and materials related to curriculum and instruction and program implementation
● Coordinate and support logistics and technology for student business operations and record-keeping
● Local college student or BUILD alumni preferred
● College access experience preferably with first generation college students
● 1-2 years of experience working in education or youth development, nonprofit management, volunteer-focused organizations or a related field
● Spanish-speaker a plus
● Experience designing/creating curriculum a plus
● Experience in data systems and other tech tools for efficiency
● Successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
BUILD’s Core Values:
● Keep Students at the Center - As BUILDers, we hold an unwavering passionate commitment and belief in the power and potential of youth. Our organization exists to serve students. We seize each opportunity to contribute to the foundation of knowledge, skills, and networks from which students can build extraordinary lives. Our operating principles and decisions focus on what is in the best interest of our students.
● Bring the Spark - As BUILDers, we excel in the entrepreneurial Spark Skills that we teach our students - Communication, Collaboration, Problem Solving, Innovation, Grit and Self-Management. We communicate through transparent and honest dialogue. We cherish teamwork, tenacity, and thinking outside the box. We demonstrate a relentless pursuit of excellence and approach work with a positive can do attitude. When we bring the spark we achieve great things together, and we model the way for our students.
● Bridge Communities - As BUILDers, we develop and foster relationships in service of creating access and opportunities for our students, staff, and stakeholders. We value all who come to the table as partners to maximize our collective impact. By connecting the communities in which we work, we build empathy, equity, and social capital.
● Promote Diversity and Social Action - As BUILDers, we understand that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters, but what matters even more is Action. We strive to create equity of voice, access, influence and power across lines of difference – both in and beyond BUILD, specifically for groups that have been historically denied social and economic justice. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. We welcome, celebrate, and embrace the unique expressions and contributions of us all – our backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, language, sexual orientation, and social class.
Role Specific Competencies:
● Attention to Detail—thoroughly manages all components of a task, however big or small, synthesizing available information to produce excellent results, and using a variety of organizational methods to lead to positive outcomes
● Project Management—identifies and thinks through all necessary steps of a project, sets appropriate deadlines, moves seamlessly between prioritized tasks, identifies required participants and holds self and others accountable to outcomes and deadlines
● Communication—utilizes verbal and written skills to effectively communicate a message particular to an audience and to meet relevant goals, using clear, concise, appropriate, and grammatically correct language
● Problem Solving—identifies and/or anticipates a problem, analyzes the situation, offers a range of recommended solutions, and when appropriate, decides on and implements a course of action
● Flexibility—demonstrates ability to steadily reprioritize, change approach, integrate feedback and pitch in wherever needed in order to get results
● Status: Permanent, Part Time 10-25 hours per week
● Location: New York, NY
● Start: Expected start date is March 2021
To apply for this position, please to go https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=BU576 to submit a cover letter and resume. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the potential of youth in under-resourced communities and equip them for high school, college and career success. BUILD’s unique program offers…
BUILD offers a competitive compensation & benefits package for eligible employees. This includes medical, dental, vision, and life coverage, flexible spending accounts, and a 403(b) plan. In addition, eligible BUILD employees qualify for generous vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per year, and a flexible work environment.
BUILD offers a competitive compensation & benefits package for eligible employees. This includes medical, dental, vision, and life coverage, flexible spending accounts, and a…
To apply for this position, please go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=BU576 to submit a cover letter and resume. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
To apply for this position, please go to https://theapplicantmanager.com/jobs?pos=BU576 to submit a cover letter and resume. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages…