44 Gough Street
ABOUT 826 NATIONAL
826 National amplifies the impact of our national network of youth writing and publishing centers, and the words of young authors. We serve as an international proof point for writing as a tool for young people to ignite and channel their creativity, explore identity, advocate for themselves and their community, and achieve academic and professional success. Our National team is comprised of a group of highly collaborative, passionate professionals dedicated to supporting our growing network of chapters, championing our new online lesson resource (826 Digital), and bringing the words of our students and the importance of writing to a national stage. 826 has been voted one of the top 30 companies to work for by GOOD Magazine and our chapters are frequently recognized as the best places to volunteer by local media. There are approximately 140+ employees working across the 826 Network.
The Communications Manager reports directly to the Director of Development, and works closely with the entire 826 National team to envision and execute strategy regarding 826 National and the 826 Network’s external messaging. This is a full-time position out of the National office in San Francisco. At times, this position requires travel and out-of-hours work.
- Develop and execute the strategy to share 826 National’s mission and impact with targeted and mass audiences, utilizing print, digital, media, and in-person opportunities.
- Play a leading role in designing and implementing the promotion of 826 Digital, our new online resource platform for educators.
- Support the 826 Network by providing leadership via ongoing digital and social media coordination, strategies, and tactics.
- Monitor and engage in the national media conversation surrounding education and, specifically, the teaching of writing.
- Work actively to increase 826 National’s social media engagement and exposure by setting and achieving quarterly benchmarks for growth across multiple media channels (e.g., social media platforms, website, etc.).
- Monitor, analyze, and report on current baseline results and set KPIs to track and build engagement.
- Create, modify, and manage content on 826national.org, ensuring relevant and engaging content is user-friendly and front and center.
- Lead development and creation of key external messaging tools, e.g., 826 National informational one-sheets and annual report.
- Serve as the main protector and champion of the 826 National brand, and ensure consistent branding across all 826 National outward-facing materials.
- Monitor digital and social media trends, making recommendations to leadership when new platform opportunities present themselves.
- Develop, manage, and execute the 826 National editorial calendar that accomplishes our strategic communications goals, including content themes that connect with the national conversation around writing and education as well as social media trending topics. This could involve, but not be limited to, creating Network-wide mini-campaigns that can be pushed out nationally across chapters.
- Manage and produce monthly public newsletters.
- Support 826 National interns to produce communication content.
- Serve as staff liaison on 826 National’s Board Communications Committee.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A flexible, creative, entrepreneurial spirit with a demonstrated passion for the mission, vision, and values of 826 National and the 826 Network
- Exceptional and proven written and oral communication skills
- 2+ years of relevant, professional communications experience
- Ability to plan, manage, and execute communications campaigns across multiple platforms
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills
- Demonstrated mastery of social media platform management, including developing tactics for user engagement and experience with analytics
- A solutions-based thinker, who approaches new ideas or challenges openly and positively
- Awareness of current trends and events as they relate to the role and the organization
- Experience working and communicating with diverse constituents, teams and colleagues
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to take ownership and drive activities to completion
- Proven organizational and project management skills
- Familiarity with MailChimp and WordPress a plus
Position is open until filled. Final compensation is commensurate with experience.
826 National is an equal opportunity employer that seeks to hire those representative of the diverse communities we serve. 826 National hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Comprehensive benefits, including: medical, dental, vision care, and retirement, paid holidays, 15 days of annual vacation for the first two years of employment, with increases thereafter.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit https://826national.typeform.com/to/zPDVOO to complete an online application and submit a resume and detailed cover letter highlighting your interest and relevant experience.