Details: Commensurate with experience
The Director of Development will lead the strategic direction and overall management of the organization’s fundraising, marketing, and communications programs.
The Director of Development will achieve this goal by enhancing existing strategies and developing new, innovative approaches to strengthen and grow CUP’s support base. The Director of Development will manage a small team charged with diversifying CUP’s revenue portfolio and will be responsible for managing relationships with corporate sponsors, foundations and major donors. As a key senior leader, he/she will advise the Executive Director on all strategic initiatives and will collaborate with CUP’s highly engaged Board, leading the fundraising committee and participating in Board meetings.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, manage and deliver a clearly defined fundraising strategy, including measurable short- and long-term goals that will meet the fundraising goals outline in CUP’s Strategic Plan.
- Serve as a chief fundraiser, securing gifts from corporate partners and institutional funders, managing and growing CUP’s revenue portfolio
- Oversee the development, analysis and implementation of new fundraising or fee-for service initiatives
- Act as a liaison for the CUP Board and lead its fundraising committee, engaging Board members as appropriate to push initiatives forward
- Oversee the planning, tenability, and execution of ambitious capital campaigns
- Collaborate with the staff, board and Executive Director to plan CUP’s annual gala
- In collaboration with CUP’s Director of External Relations, identify, cultivate and engage directly with new and existing high-potential prospects, including high-net-worth donors, with a strategic approach to deepening their relationships with CUP
Leadership of External Relations Team
- Serve on the senior management team, collaborating with the Executive Director and other senior leaders on the strategy and execution of all major organizational initiatives
- Manage, mentor and coach the development team
- Lead the development team in translating strategies to detailed annual targets and plans
- Continuously refine and improve the fundraising strategy based on insights and feedback
- Engage CUP’s Advisory Board and Board of Directors (Fundraising Committee) in shaping the fundraising strategy
- Attend and participate in Board meetings, presenting key development and communications updates to the Governing Board and manage related board communications
- Lead the Development/Gala Committee and collaborate with the Finance Committee
- Draft Development-related budgets
External Communications : Working closely with the Executive Director and CUP’s Director of External Relations, accountable for the ongoing development, refinement and scaling of CUP’s communication plan (NY & LA) and guide the strategy for all communications, website, PR messages and collateral to consistently and effectively represent the organizations brand and articulate its mission.
· Oversee development and implementation of agency-wide brand strategy to support both fundraising and programmatic needs
· Supervise compelling cross-platform communications (e-communications, direct email marketing messages, peer to peer website and other public-facing content, including the annual report) to engage existing and new audiences and lead to measurable action
· Supervise the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral
· Cultivate and manage media contacts
· Manage overall messaging, strategic communications and marketing for the organization, engaging diverse staff teams and all local sites
Additional Responsibilities as determined by the Executive Director
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Bachelor’s degree required, Masters preferred
· 5-7 years of nonprofit development experience with a record of increasing revenue from foundations, corporations and individual donors
· Strong understanding of the nonprofit sector preferred
· Strong knowledge of how marketing, communications and PR can further fundraising efforts, and a track record of using these tools to improve and optimize fundraising efforts
· Experience managing grant application process
· A proven track record of working closely with executive leadership, Board members and key stakeholders.
· Ability to work independently or collaboratively to maximize output and camaraderie.
· Authentic presence, exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, and customer service orientation
· Significant experience setting the strategic direction of large, complex initiatives and driving work to fruition in pursuit of results
· Commitment to leading CUP’s communications efforts for its next phase of growth (3-5 years)
CUP offers full medical and dental coverage for its employees.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please include Chief Development Officer in the email subject line.
No phone calls, please.
The Council of Urban Professionals is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.