Details: Competitive salary offered
257 Park Avenue South
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s Prospect Research team is expanding to support our growing organization. Under the supervision of the Manager, Prospect Research the new Prospect Research Specialist position researches, analyzes, and recommends strategy for new prospects and for new opportunities with existing donors and prospects, with a focus on both Foundation and Major Gift opportunities (both in the US and internationally).
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for Executive, Development & Program Staff for events and meetings, describing and analyzing constituents’ wealth, interests (including philanthropic interests) and relationships.
- Partners with Major Gifts-focused Portfolio Managers (focusing on strategy development).
- Manages research needs surrounding Program Staff trips; including monitoring of calendars and interacting directly with Portfolio Managers to assess their needs.
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to identify and qualify new prospective donors and assesses new opportunities with existing donors, through the following avenues:
- Evaluates prospects suggested by staff and volunteers; also identifies/maps relationships of volunteers and deeply engaged donors for the purpose of identifying new prospects.
- Examines results of wealth and philanthropy screenings of Membership donors to identify those with potential to make major gifts.
- Identifies potential foundation prospects from external sources including Foundation Directory Online and Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- Identifies potential major gift prospects from external sources including the Eco-Rich List, lists of top players in key industries from which significant opportunities for support have been identified, annual reports from organizations with like programmatic focus areas, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least 2 years of experience of experience in Prospect Research, including experience with targeted Google searches, Salesforce, LexisNexis, NOZA, Foundation Directory Online, RelSci, and other common sources.
- Experience with analyzing Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial data a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information, find the details relevant to fundraising, and present findings and recommendations clearly, concisely and accurately a must.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail oriented, well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion.
- Ability to produce and manage multiple requests at one time is essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Generous vacation and 403(b) retirement.
Minimum Education Required