614 East 179th Street
The Center for Urban Community Services, a national leader in the development of effective housing and service initiatives for homeless people, invites applications for a Fitness Instructor position for the Lenniger and Sydelle Residences. Part of the amenities package for residents is an on-site gym with several cardio and weight exercise machines. Additional space is available for other types of basic fitness instruction and activities. The Lenniger and Sydelle are multi-unit supportive housing residences located in the East Tremont section of the Bronx. These residences are designed for low income individuals and families, many of whom have a history of mental illness, homelessness, and/or substance abuse.
The Fitness Instructor will be principally responsible for providing introductory instruction to the tenants regarding the use of the equipment. Also, developing and providing individual fitness counseling and maintaining documentation of participants each week. ACE Certification (or equivalent) REQUIRED.
Schedule: This position is 10-12 hours per week with a flexible Monday-Friday work week. Each program site is allocated different hour amounts that add collectively to 10-12 hrs/week.
Experience and Education Required:
· Bachelor’s degree related field preferred; High School Diploma or GED required.
· 1 year direct service experience with indicated population
· CPR certified and ACE certification or equivalent required
· Demonstrated ability to serve a special needs population such as the homeless and/or mentally ill. Related experience and knowledge of designated therapeutic activities
· Good verbal and written communication skills
· Computer literacy
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send resume and cover letter to the following email address: Gabby Gomez <Gabriela.Gomez@cucs.org>
- Applicants will only be considered for positions they apply for.
- CUCS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind