Who We Are
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. We are looking for a dynamic, determined Dean of Operations to work with our school teams in Nashville, TN for the 2018-2019 school year. Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world - and demonstrate an impassioned interest in pursuing a long-term pathway in school or network-based operational leadership. Sound like you?
What You’ll Do
At RePublic, we believe that the people in front of our scholars each day are the key determinants of their ultimate success. Our school-based operations teams exist to block and tackle for staff to ensure that they can focus on what matters most each day - teaching and learning. Equal parts data mastermind, systems tuner, community builder, and leader in training, the Dean of Operations reports directly to the school-based Director of Operations and works to implement and maintain crucial systems that enable our schools to run like clockwork to create an academic environment in which scholars can grow and achieve their full potential.
- Student Recruitment + Enrollment
- Lead the school-based team in all year-round student enrollment initiatives and activities including, but not limited to, phone banking, canvassing, visibility campaign planning, community event participation, and strategic social media marketing
- Manage the student enrollment process and drive enrollment results by converting potential applicants to fully enrolled scholars through phone calls, in-person meetings, and other strategic methods that build family investment in the school and RePublic model.
- Plan and host major enrollment milestone events and assist families in completing enrollment paperwork, including, but not limited to, Lottery Events, New Student Orientation, and School Information Sessions.
- Manage student retention risks. Collect, organize, and analyze data to determine school-wide trends and to identify individual students who are at risk of unenrolling from RePublic's schools. Use data to lead and drive daily student risk meetings with the school-based leadership team. Invest leaders and manage action around attrition risks daily.
- Build strong intentional relationships with new and returning scholars and families to ensure they persist year to year within the RePublic Schools network, through middle and high school.
- School Culture + Community Building
- Develop a strong school community and identity by planning and owning the execution of school-wide and off-site events (ex. field trips, Family Nights, Spirit Weeks, school dances, and Parent Involvement Committee meetings), student athletic programs, and extracurricular activities and clubs.
- Increase agency and access for families - produce high-quality written communication on the behalf of the school (family newsletters, flyers, school marketing materials, etc.).
- Increase agency and access for families - Cultivate strong relationships with community partners, advocate for students and their parents; help provide access to multiple types of resources for our families.
- Build and execute social media strategy. Generate, edit, publish and share on-brand content weekly (original text, images, and video) with the intent of showcasing the school's greatest assets and to clearly communicate with families about upcoming events, calendar changes, and updates.
- Student Data + Compliance
- Serve as resident expert on and key manager of the district and school-facting student information management systems, and ensure accuracy of these systems.
- Manage accurate submission of student attendance, grades, and behavior.
- Ensure school is adhering to all local/state compliance and reporting requirements.
- School Operations Support + Professional Development
- Support the school-based operations team to ensure seamless execution of all operational systems each day, including, but not limited to, food provision, transportation (arrival and dismissal), emergency plans, facility maintenance and upkeep, school decor and beautification, supply and asset inventory and maintenance (technology, books, classroom supplies, etc.).
- Work with the school operations team to manage logistical elements of major student assessments; collect and track important school paperwork from scholars and teachers.
- Shows commitment to self-development by preparing for and leading weekly check-ins with a direct manager that include data-driven progress towards school and network-wide operations metrics.
- Continuously seeks feedback for improvement with the ultimate intent of taking on increased operations leadership responsibilities in the future.
Who You Are
Our ideal Dean of Operations will have an unwavering belief that our students can achieve at an exceptionally high level. Beyond that, a successful candidate is:
- Deeply committed to serving our kids. You have elected to work with historically underserved students, and do this work because you believe that all students, regardless of background, are capable of excellence - and that it’s on us as adults to get our kids there. You can speak knowledgeably about our mission, and demonstrate a commitment to our educational model. You understand that educational inequity is more pronounced in the South than anywhere else in the nation, and you want to work with RePublic in part because of our commitment to this region.
- Knowledgeable about the inner workings of schools. Ideally, you’ve got at least 2 years of experience teaching or working in operations in schools like ours - or in schools where you felt operational systems kept teachers from teaching and kids from learning.
- A laser-focused systems builder who designs airtight systems and processes that endure over time and maximize efficiency. You anticipate where a system will break down before it ever stands a chance, and nothing makes you happier than when you see others implement this system like clockwork.
- A gritty problem-solver. You keep it cool when things are crazy, approach problems with viable solutions, and know when you need to roll up your sleeves to support your team.
- Customer service oriented. You want to be a servant leader and are comfortable in leadership roles where your job is to make it easier for others to do theirs at an exceptionally high level.
- A quick and humble learner. You want to move from good to great when it comes to operations execution and the coaching and management of other people. You’re a sponge and you take every opportunity to learn and grow.
- A joy builder. You bring a positivity to our scholars, their families, and this work that is unparalleled. You believe great things are possible!
- Other qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Familiarity/proficiency in Microsoft Excel highly preferred
- Proficiency and experience in budget management + oversight highly preferred
- Proficiency in Google Drive and associated tools (google docs, google sheets) highly preferred.
- Familiarity with student information systems such as Infinite Campus, School Runner, PowerSchool, and BrightArrow preferred.
- Experience with phone banking, canvassing, campaign strategy preferred but not required. Experience with Hootsuite or other social media marketing tools preferred but not required.
Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at Republic includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Submit your resume and an optional cover letter online: http://www.republiccharterschools.org/careers.