Status: Full time, exempt
Reports to: Chief Advancement Officer
Friends is a diverse community of individuals, families and institutions who love our San Francisco Public Library and make it exceptional. We champion free public access to information, resources and opportunities for all people. Our mission is to strengthen, support and advocate for a premier public library system in San Francisco.
Summary of Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Advancement Officer, the Membership Manager furthers the Friends mission by managing the membership program in keeping with goals and strategies outlined in Friends new Strategic Plan, adopted by the Board of Directors in May 2018. Goals across the five year term are to expand the membership base by 1,000 members and maintain retention rates at least 80% and above. Strategies include maximizing all points of entry to membership internally (including the Community Book Program activities) and externally (branches, corporate partners, etc), and engaging Board members and volunteers in the cultivation and stewardship activities.
- Develop and submit for review annually a comprehensive Membership Advancement plan for inclusion in the Advancement Department’s Master Plan with multi-channel acquisition strategies to significantly expand the membership base, and renewal strategies that improve the retention rate while increasing average income per membership
- Implement this plan in a timely manner, including production coordination with vendors, synchronizing with volunteers as needed for mailing
· Provide prompt and courteous response to member inquiries in person or via phone and email.
· Build strategies for moving members into their optimum levels of giving, as indicated by screening and ranking analytics
· Develop strategies to increase online giving in coordination with the Communications Manager, including coordinating eblasts specific to members with the Advancement team and communication plan.
· Design and produce strategically valuable membership special events in coordination with staff and volunteers
· Provide content of membership program for At The Library (ATL), Friends’ newsletter and social media.
· Work closely with Literary Director and Deputy Director of the Community Book Program (CBP) to integrate membership acquisition strategies with books sales, book donations and other initiatives.
· Develop or update membership brochures and other appropriate collateral material as needed
· Coordinate marketing for member acquisition and promotion at SFPL branches, including ensuring that collateral is visible and accessible and assisting branch staff in talking about Friends and making donations.
- Participate in a Work Group dedicated to updating the Raisers Edge software, database and structure, and compliance with a comprehensive Policies and Procedures Manual for all Raisers Edge and gift processing and acknowledgement practices
- Participate in a Work Group for the overall management of Raisers Edge and Blackbaud related communication systems, including making recommendations for updates and other resources as needed to maintain optimum utility and service in the solicitation and stewardship of donors and members
Friends Mission and Values & Community Relationships
- Positively represent the mission and community value of Friends in meetings, conversations and/or presentations with customers, members and donors, Fort Mason, and City partners.
- Understand and be able to describe all of the Friends programs: direct financial support to the Library; indirect support in financial management and investment; book donation and retail sales; the Community Literacy Program, and green conversation goals.
- Promote and articulate the goals and messaging of Friends’ special fundraising campaigns and bookselling initiatives
Internal Relations - Teamwork & Collaboration
· Participate as a key member in weekly Advancement team meetings.
· Produce content, data and stories for Communications Manager to use in the ATL, eNewsletters, website, and social media.
· Work with designated Board members when needed on specific membership promotion initiatives
· Minimum three years’ experience in either the non-profit or for-profit sectors managing membership campaigns with a base of 3K to 5K members
· Examples of proven renewal strategies employed to maintain high renewal rates, and a working knowledge of a variety of productive acquisition efforts
· Experience using online strategies for cultivation, solicitation and retention
· Experience working as a team member within a fundraising department
· Working knowledge of Raisers Edge/Blackbaud software, excel, Word, (what other programs should we include here)
Minimum Education Required