53 South Hackensack Ave.
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
The mission of First Friends of New Jersey and New York (“First Friends”) is to uphold the inherent dignity and humanity of detained immigrants and asylum seekers by providing compassion and hope through volunteer visitation, resettlement assistance, and advocacy.
The Assistant Volunteer Coordinator (AVC) is a part-time position to coordinate volunteer visitors for detained Spanish-speaking asylum seekers and immigrants, focusing on recruiting and retaining visitors and creating resources for providing visitation to Spanish-speaking asylum seekers and immigrants detained in New Jersey. The AVC will work closely with the Detention Visitation Program Coordinator to carry out all duties.
- Recruit, train, and manage Spanish-speaking volunteer visitors and develop a mentoring and support system for them.
- Connect Spanish-speaking people who are detained and in the First Friends’ visitation program with Spanish-speaking volunteer visitors and pen pals.
- Create and coordinate translation of recruitment, training, and other materials.
- Renew ties and develop new relationships with civic, religious, and other organizations with substantial numbers of Spanish-speaking members, which includes giving presentations and attending meetings and other events.
- Identify any obstacles to participation in the program and implement appropriate solutions.
- Assist in answering First Friends’ hotline and responding to requests from people who are held in immigration custody.
- Document and maintain records in good working order within files and program databases.
- Prepare and submit reports in a timely manner to the Executive Director.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Executive Director.
- Fluency in written and oral Spanish is required.
- Experience recruiting, training, and managing volunteers.
- Experience providing direct service in a human services organization.
- Demonstrated success working with immigrant populations, including individuals held in immigration custody.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in immigrant rights and immigration detention work, racial and social justice; understanding of the interwoven nature of different struggles.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills, well-organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, able to prioritize.
- Ability to build mutually respectful relationships with co-workers, volunteers, people held in immigration custody, partners, and the public.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including public speaking.
- Self-starter able to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to work varied hours, including nights and weekends when necessary; willingness to travel and to visit individuals in jails and detention centers.
- Access to reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license.
- Computer literacy, using word processing and database applications.
- Candidates who have been directly affected by immigration detention or the mass incarceration system are highly encouraged to apply.
- Classification: Non-Exempt, Part-time
- Rate of pay: $17.5 per hour, 18 hours per week
- Reports to: Executive Director
- Location: 53 South Hackensack Ave., 2nd Floor, Kearny, NJ 07032
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume, references, and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in and qualified for this position to Kimberly Krone (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line, "Assistant Volunteer Coordinator."