District of Columbia
Internews is seeking a Chief of Party candidate for a 4-year, Washington DC-based global USAID-funded civil society support initiative. The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership for Internews’ program; coordinate technical and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews personnel, financial management and administration policies; and coordinate with other stakeholders globally. The Chief of Party will also be responsible for establishing strong partnership and dialogue with project partners and the appropriate donor representatives. S/he will be a strong, inspirational leader, providing oversight in ensuring that the project will be properly executed and reported. S/he should be a patient and flexible senior manager, with experience managing large USAID grants. The position will be based in DC for the duration of the project, with field travel as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Provide leadership, management, representational and operational oversight for Internews’ program globally;
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with international and partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries;
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans;
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the region to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of civil society and media issues;
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures;
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated;
- Provide management and oversight of daily operations of the Internews’ program in the target regions;
- Accept fiduciary responsibility for all funds advanced for the purpose of the project;
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws;
- Carry out management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Visionary leader able to inspire others to achieve project goals;
- 5-10 years’ years of experience in a senior management role overseeing complex, large-scale development programs in the democracy and governance sector;
- Previous experience as a proactive COP with a strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with local counterparts, international organizations, and donors;
- Experience in programs that protect the fundamental rights to association, peaceful assembly, and expression; experience or familiarity with basic principles of machine learning, data analysis, or technological initiatives preferred;
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media programs and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans;
- Significant professional experience in international development with an emphasis on civil society;
- Familiarity with innovative, rigorous approaches to monitoring and evaluation and impact assessment,
- Experience in Africa and/or Eastern Europe/Former Soviet Union strongly preferred;
- English fluency required, one or more regional language skills are highly desirable;
- Act as primary point of contact with the USAID DRG Center in Washington DC, maintaining collaborative and responsive relationship;
- Work closely with HQ administrative team to ensure timely and accurate financial responsibilities are met;
- Demonstrated Track Record in business development;
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible leader who thrives in creative environment;
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills;
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed and
- Relevant university degree required.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
Manage and oversee all staff based in the country. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page
Minimum Education Required