Community Organizer - Protégete: Nuestro futuro vale la lucha
Location: Pueblo, Colorado
Deadline for submission: Monday April 23rd, 2018
Work schedule: Full time, non exempt
Conservation Colorado is seeking a full-time Community Organizer for Protégete, Conservation Colorado’s Latino organizing program. Community Organizers are responsible for recruiting, training and organizing Latino volunteers on critical environmental issues facing Colorado and the nation. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of engaging grassroots volunteers through community outreach and have a genuine interest in developing individuals and community leaders. He or she will demonstrate an ability to excel in a fast-paced work environment, work well in a team, and manage his or her own time effectively. This position is an exciting opportunity to help change the power imbalances that lead to environmental injustice, and make sure that Latinos are at the forefront of the new environmental movement.
About Conservation Colorado
Conservation Colorado works to protect Colorado’s environment and quality of life by mobilizing people and electing conservation‐minded policy makers. We work closely with policy leaders, citizen activists, businesses and other allies, and have built a reputation as one of the leading conservation advocacy organizations in the region. This coming year we will be tackling everything from working to ensure our state has enough water for future generations, looking for ways to increase the state’s use of renewable energy, defending our public lands from attacks by the Trump administration, and electing pro-conservation champions to the state Legislature and governorship.
Conservation Colorado’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. Within the organization, we aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
The Community Organizer, who will report to the Protégete Organizing Manager, will organize in the City of Pueblo and is responsible for the following:
• Developing relationships with Latino community members and establishing active volunteer teams who can effectively advocate for environmental conservation and community public health issues;
• Recruiting and engaging volunteers, conducting trainings that identify and develop volunteer leaders and ensuring consistent turn out and active participation of volunteers in campaign activities;
• Using grassroots organizing methods such as: one-on-ones, house meetings and presentations and a well-developed ladder of engagement that moves volunteers into increasing leadership roles;
o Working collaboratively with team members to organize events such as: neighborhood meetings, press conferences and forums on a frequent basis and ensure volunteer participation, while providing opportunities for volunteers to take on increasing levels of leadership;
o Engaging in intensive outreach including phone banking, door-to-door canvassing, street outreach and other outreach tactics with the organizing team;
o Tracking work meticulously and accurately in to track all of our activity and submitting weekly reports on volunteer recruitment and cultivation;
• Representing the organization during networking events, partnership and partner meetings; and
• Participating in achieving other organizational priorities as the need arises, including helping with fundraising efforts.
We’re seeking a candidate who possesses outstanding interpersonal communication skills and ability to connect policy to the real lives of our communities, is results-focused, highly driven & self-motivated, and are thoughtful and strategic. You should possess:
• Ability to cultivate strong relationships and generate respect and trust from individuals and organizations;
• Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without hands on supervision;
• A demonstrated ability of maintaining grace under pressure and setting and achieving goals in a fast-paced, ever changing environment;
• A passion for and an enjoyment of working with people;
• A genuine belief that empowered individuals are agents of change for their own communities;
• Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Ability to speak English professionally and Spanish conversationally.
Community organizing experience and familiarity with Colorado’s Latino, environmental, and/or progressive community are pluses but not requirements. The position requires a willingness to work evening and weekend hours.
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Includes health/dental benefits, retirement with match, paid time off program and sabbatical program.
We are committed to building a more diverse and inclusive organization and conservation movement to fully represent and engage all Coloradans and to build as powerful a movement as we can. Recruiting staff that better reflects Colorado is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, race, ethnicity, geographies, political affiliation, and all other identities represented in Colorado or protected by law.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish bilingual
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If this job truly speaks to you, please send a cover letter that explains why (not a standard cover letter!) and resume by Monday, April 23rd 2018 to Juan Perez, Protégete Organizing Manager, with the subject line Protégete -Pueblo Community Organizer to firstname.lastname@example.org