District of Columbia
Position: Director of Development
Organization: After-School All-Stars
Location: Open Location: DC, Los Angeles, New York, or SF Bay Area preferred
After-School All-Stars (ASAS) provides free, high-quality after-school programs to low-income youth across the country. Now reaching over 72,000 students on over 300 school sites, in 19 chapters around the country, ASAS is raising the bar and helping students succeed in school and in life. Our vision for our All-Stars is: to be healthy and active, to graduate high school and go on to college, to find a job that they love and to give back to their communities.
A Unique Opportunity
After-School All-Stars is currently seeking a Director of Development, with a focus on New Business Fundraising (DOD) for the national home office. Reporting to the Senior Vice President of Development, the DOD’s primary responsibility will be to identify, steward, and secure new private institutional funders to support the national operations of the organization. It is expected that the majority (~70%) of focus will be on the cultivation of new corporate partners, with remaining time being spent on the cultivation of national foundation relationships. The DOD will work collaboratively with the national and regional development teams. The Director of Development will:
· Research and identify new funding prospects capable of supporting ASAS through six-figure++ donations.
· Conduct cold outreach (email, phone, in-person networking at industry events), resulting in pitching to and soliciting six-figure donations from new institutional funders to the organization.
o Develop new partnerships with Fortune 500 corporations through traditional grant partnerships, cause marketing, commercial co-ventures, and employee engagement
o Secure grants from national education/SEL/health/youth-development-focused foundations
· Establish, cultivate, and maintain relationships with corporate/foundation program officers, marketing professionals, and executives
· Oversee partnership deliverables including execution of activation events (with support from Corporate Engagement Coordinator) and partner recognition (in collaboration with ASAS Marketing Department)
· Collaborate with ASAS chapters to ensure partnership deliverables are achieved
· Ensure that philanthropy and fund development are carried out in keeping with the organization’s values, mission, vision and strategic program quality improvement, research and evaluation plans
· Work with colleagues across the ASAS national network to share information, resources, and leads and collaborate on national efforts
Who should apply?
The DOD should embody ASAS’s core values: accountable, collaborative, transparent, proactive, and entrepreneurial, and demonstrate a commitment to the mission of helping kids succeed in school and in life. This individual will have demonstrated success in working with local affiliates of large organizations, building new relationships, and working in a collaborative style. S/he will be open to up to 25% travel to support pitching/cultivation of new donors and execution of donor activations. The DOD should be an open, confident professional who enjoys working in an entrepreneurial setting. The ideal candidate will also demonstrate:
- 5 to 7 years of relevant experience in fundraising, especially new business development
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Dependable, conscientious, detail oriented and capable of managing deadlines
- Capable of working independently as well as part of a team
- Flexible and able to adapt to a fast-paced, ever-evolving environment
- An undergraduate degree is required
The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience of the individual candidate. ASAS offers a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 18 days of paid time off, and 15 paid holidays.
Minimum Education Required