The Foundation and Corporate Grants Manager is a passionate and strategic leader who will support the Director of Development and the CEO to achieve the organization’s development and external relations goals around foundation and corporate grant funding for More Than Words (MTW). This position requires an organized and responsible individual who enjoys writing, has great interpersonal communication, is ready to learn, likes working as part of a tight team, and is committed to the MTW mission.
The Foundation and Corporate Grants Manager reports to the Director of Development and is accountable for meeting foundation and corporate grant targets, including building relationships with funders and their program officers, conducting prospect research, writing proposals, and reporting outcomes on grants. The Foundation and Corporate Grants Manager supports fundraising and cultivation events and other efforts including direct mail campaigns, special events, and corporate sponsorship initiatives, as needed.
MTW is committed to ensuring our staff and board reflect the racial and ethnic diversity and lived experiences of the young adults we are privileged to serve. People of color are highly encouraged to apply.
About More Than Words
More Than Words (MTW) is a nonprofit social enterprise that empowers youth, ages 16-24, who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. MTW offers job training opportunities and transition support services to equip youth with first-hand experience working as a team to operate retail and online businesses and to develop the tools to enable them to make progress around education, employment and life goals. The MTW model is premised on the belief that an actual job – one which provides hands-on, real-world training combined with high expectations, accountability and opportunities for personal development, is the best way to equip youth with marketable skills critical for success in work, college and life.
Key responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
Foundation and Corporate Grant Funding:
· Works closely to support the CEO and Director of Development to set annual and long term foundation and corporate grant fundraising targets; develops, executes and reports on tactics to meet goals.
· Researches prospective sources of grant funding by reviewing grant guidelines and online information and making recommendations on fit for MTW.
· Manages all parts of the grant funding process for foundation and corporate sources, including: maintenance of a grants calendar; meetings and phone calls with funders; proposal writing; grant submissions; and grant reports.
· Works with other staff to obtain all information needed for proposals and grand reports. Stays up to date and engaged with the organization as a whole to inform conversations and reports to funders.
· Organizes and supports foundation visits, tours, and presentations, and other stewardship opportunities.
· Engages youth in development by supporting them to give tours to funders, join meetings and visits, and speak at events.
Administrative Systems Management:
· Maintains accurate records around all foundation-related activities, including visits, proposal and report deadlines, record keeping in the Salesforce database, and providing documentation of grants to Finance.
· Creates monthly Development Dashboard in collaboration with the Development and Events Manager, and ensures that it is timely and accurate for reporting.
· Works closely with the Associate Director of Finance and CFO to ensure that all institutional grant data in financial reports are reconciled and accurate for internal and external reporting and compliance.
· Maintains a thorough and current knowledge of MTW’s programs, successes and strategies and utilizes this information to engage institutional contacts through organizational events, personalized communications and outreach.
· Professionally and effectively represents the organization to external resources, including individual and institutional funding sources and the philanthropic community.
· Collaborates with Director of Development and Development and Events Manager on marketing activities to raise the visibility of MTW including the development of collateral, the Annual Report, and other such tools in support of the fundraising program.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications:
An ideal candidate will be motivated by the MTW mission, have great writing skills, and LOVE being organized. Writing should be a passion, and the candidate should enjoy taking in diverse information and piecing it together to form a compelling narrative. The candidate should be able to write clear and enthusiastic emails, speak professionally by phone, and engage people in face-to-face meetings, as they will be interacting with many members of the MTW community, including staff, Board members, community partners, and institutional donors. The candidate should enjoy making and following timelines, with strong planning and follow through skills. The candidate should also be responsible, flexible, hardworking, ethical, trustworthy, sincere and willing to hold youth accountable for their choices. This position requires the ability to multi-task working both independently and with a team.
Additionally, a strong-fit candidate will also have:
· At least 2 years of work experience with previous experience in development or a nonprofit setting preferred.
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills including the demonstrated ability to research, assimilate and analyze information, compose reports and correspondence, and present proven data in a clear and inspiring manner.
· Attention to detail, with experience with data-base systems, preferably Salesforce.com and a demonstrated track record of managing reports and systems preferred.
· Ability to support occasional evening and weekend work and some travel as needed.
This position may allow for a flexible work schedule and some remote work.
Compensation: Competitive; Commensurate with skills and experience
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to development@MTWyouth.org and reference FCG-002 in the subject line.