About the Position:
This is a Central Office operations position. Under the direction of the COO, the Director of Network Operations is responsible for providing and managing centralized supports for school operations, accountability structures, and operational training and development for staff.
The ideal candidate possesses an interest in education, is knowledgeable about the charter schools, and has professional experience in operations, project management, or other related functions. They are fully dedicated to the mission of Prospect Schools, and committed to keeping the academic and personal success of our students as a core focus while striving to grow professionally and support the operational excellence of the organization of schools.
Prospect Schools is a K-12 college preparatory community where excellent teachers prepare a diverse student body to have a positive impact on society and a lifelong passion for learning. Find more about who we are and what we believe by checking out our Prospector Principles.
Our Core Values are:
- Curiosity: Develop sound judgment and intellect by asking questions confidently and thinking critically
- Care: Support others by grounding every action in empathy while championing equity and inclusion in our work
- Persistence: Grow and learn by solving problems with determination, creativity and tenacity
- Passion: Succeed by approaching challenges with excitement, enthusiasm and self assurance
School Operations Support
- Maximize the benefits of being a network of schools by driving excellent, consistent operational practices across all schools that are aligned with the values of Prospect Schools. Where possible and appropriate, develop and lead centralized operational processes that impact multiple campuses and that the Treehouse is uniquely positioned to execute with greater efficiency and fidelity than school-based teams.
- Provide oversight and coaching to school-based operations teams, primarily through support of the schools’ Directors of School Operations; including holding individual check-ins with DSOs, monthly team meetings among DSOs, and serving as the Treehouse point-of-contact for urgent operations issues at the School level.
- Liaise with school Principals and Directors of School Operations to align on school-based operational priorities through recurring monthly check-ins and other communication channels.
- Partner with school Principals and HR & Talent teams in hiring new Directors of School Operations; including the development of central resources for onboarding, 30/60/90 day check-ins, and facilitating coaching amongst the larger DSO community.
- Lead semi-annual School Review process where each school receives a comprehensive review of all school functions from a multi-functional team. The process includes managing and updating the School Review rubric.
- Lead processes for identifying school operational needs and providing strong central office operational support to school-based teams. As needed, assist with the execution of school-based operations. Examples of when this level of support may be required are during critical points in the year (e.g. start of year and testing periods) and significant school-based role transitions.
- Develop and own centralized Operations Standard Operational Procedures and resources for school-based Operations teams. Ensure that all resources are widely available digitally via Prospect Schools’s internal site. Examples of processes to norm across all schools are purchasing, student information management, student enrollment, facility maintenance, asset tracking and management, and other functions that must be executed at every school.
- Lead school-based operations training and development across the network by collaborating with the Senior Director of HR & Talent to identify the needs of the organization and staff, then developing progressive training and development programming that promotes the missions and values of BPCS and operational excellence. Create the infrastructure and plan to support the career development and progression of operational staff and build a pipeline of operational leaders across schools.
- Manage Afterschool School Program (ASP) administration via the Director of Network Afterschool Programming to ensure consistent and high-quality programming across all schools that align with the mission and values of Prospect Schools.
- Manage Prospect Schools’s facilities via network building management leader to ensure our spaces are safe, welcoming, and functioning at high levels. This includes overseeing execution of facility projects within the existing building.
- Develop and establish organization-wide standards for school safety and emergency readiness, and hold school-based operations teams accountable for maintaining proper documentation, updating procedures annually, and holding regular drills as required.
- Manage accounts with vendors that serve multiple school campuses to ensure high and consistent quality. This process includes owning any relevant bidding processes.
- Ensure that information critical to operations is shared across the network effectively, e.g. notifications from regulatory entities such as NYC DOE, NYSED, SUNY, Department of Health, etc.
Accountability & Reporting
- Manage external accountability reporting with various agencies, including NYC DOE, SUNY, NYSED, NYC Charter Center, etc. Reporting to agencies occurs throughout the year and includes significant collaboration with multi-functional partners internally and externally to complete critical submissions, e.g. SUNY Annual Report, BEDS, CRDC, etc.
- Oversee BPCS’s critical information platforms including the student information system, intranet, and various platforms including the DOE galaxy system and ATS account maintenance.
- Bachelor’s degree required with Master’s degree preferred
- 5-7 years of experience in school or education non-profit operations experience, with at least 3-5 years people management experience
- Deeply strategic thinker and skilled project manager with a record of setting and achieving ambitious goals
- Significant experience with data and analytics, with an ability to work through large sets of information to derive and communicate meaningful insights
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to assess, motivate, and drive performance through individuals’ strengths with an emphasis on inclusivity
- Highly collaborative with the ability to balance goals with diplomacy and relationship-maintenance
- Experienced systems-thinker who can mediate our need to scale our operations effectively while also preserving the agency we believe is necessary for schools and teams to thrive.
*The critical features of this role are described above but not all encompassing.