By developing programs that respond to pressing community needs, New York Cares—New York City’s leading volunteer management organization—provides a lifeline of support to our city’s most vulnerable residents. Last year, we mobilized 65,000 individual volunteers and hundreds of companies, civic and youth groups to help improve the lives of over 500,000 struggling New Yorkers.
New York Cares prides itself on a culture of excellence, defined by integrity, reliability and professionalism. We have been awarded The New York Times Nonprofit Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding management practices, and the Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. The NonProfit Times, Crain’s New York, The Princeton Review and The Wall Street Journal have all recognized New York Cares as a top-notch employer.
The Web Developer is responsible for the development and technical maintenance of the New York Cares website. The website is an integral part of our volunteer digital experience with New York Cares. Examples of potential upcoming projects include a Drupal 7 to Drupal 8 migration and implementing a re-envisioned user experience across multiple digital channels.
The position will report to the Director of Technology and collaborate with other members of the four person technology team to meet all the technology needs of New York Cares.
Designing and implementing technical solutions in a Drupal/PHP environment, which is syncing to Salesforce.com, to aid in the continued growth and success of New York Cares. Including:
- Using both point-and-click configuration and efficient, testable custom code to meet functional requirements.
- Managing module updates, security updates, and upgrades.
- Refactoring code to improve performance and sustainability.
- Documenting both new and inherited code to let others understand the rationale behind choices.
Assisting with quality assurance testing prior to new feature rollout, bug fixes, or major launches.
Documenting key procedures and maintaining a record of all development change requests and completed changes.
Serving as first contact for staff technology support needs relating to web development and web infrastructure.
Participating in Disaster Recovery and System Continuity planning, implementation, and testing.
Maintaining and furthering technical knowledge by attending webinars, workshops, and reviewing professional publication. Open-source community contributions are encouraged.
- 3+ years of experience developing PHP web applications including experience with custom Drupal 7/8 module and theme development.
- Proficiency with MySQL, Apache SOLR, Git, and integrating third-party services and APIs.
- Familiarity with automated testing tools.
- Basic understanding of UX best practices and familiarity with user-centered design methods.
- Effective project management skills..
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to translate technical jargon.
- Ability to occasionally work after hours for planned down-time or emergency problem solving.
- Bonus: You’ve contributed to an open-source community or have a background in volunteering.
Starting in the mid 70’s depending on experience. Benefits include a generous health insurance plan, a retirement plan, and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com, with the subject line Web Developer. In your cover letter please cover these topics:
- What do you enjoy most about your current position?
- Why are you interested in working at New York Cares?