District of Columbia
Reports to: Vice President, Human Resources
Department: Human Resources
Staff reporting to this position: Payroll and Benefits Coordinator and Human Resources Generalist
Position classification: Exempt/full time
American Progress seeks an experienced Human Resources Manager. This position reports to the Vice President of Human Resources and manages the Payroll and Benefits Coordinator and the Human Resources Generalist. They will be responsible for managing the functional areas of human resource operations, benefits, and payroll administration. American Progress seeks candidates who can work with a large staff in a fast-paced environment.
- Oversee benefits administration, make recommendations for benefit plan changes, work with brokers to ensure the usage of cost-effective benefit options, and communicate benefit information to employees.
- Oversee the payroll process and approve biweekly payroll.
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations concerning employment, payroll, and benefits.
- Supervise and oversee the work of the Human Resources Generalist and the Payroll and Benefits Coordinator.
- Assist and oversee special projects as needed.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least five years of experience in the human resources field; at least two years of experience managing 401(k) accounts.
- Experience managing staff is preferred.
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred.
- Experience with Ceridian payroll systems is a plus.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and sense of humor.
- Ability to work in a deadline-driven environment and to handle multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the organization.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file, upload the file, and complete the application through the link below.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.