Director of Special Projects and Strategic Initiatives
- Job posted by The Arab-American Family Support Center
150 Court Street
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
LOCATION: Brooklyn, NY
The Arab-American Family Support Center is looking for a dynamic professional to oversee special projects and advance strategic initiatives related to the organization’s performance management systems, organizational culture, talent development, and commitment to continuous quality improvement. A successful person in this role a record as a trusted partner to senior leaders, a respectful supervisor to implementation team, a champion for AAFSC’s as a learning organization, a capable facilitator of process improvement and interrelated projects, a diplomatic negotiator for internal and external strategies. The Director of Special Projects and Strategic Initiatives will be organized, have high attention to detail, capable of thriving under pressure while working on multiple projects, and will have the fortitude to ensure result-oriented change is permanent . A strong background in systems-change, monitoring and evaluation, and developing and implementing standard operating procedures is preferred for this role. A successful candidate in this position is able to drive value stream mapping from “current state analysis” into future state. A commitment to immigrant, refugee and low-income communities is essential for this role.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Partnership Building and Project Management
- Build relationships, coordinate and work in collaboration with community members, community-based organizations, faith-based organizations, government institutions, law enforcement and elected officials to achieve special project or strategic initiative goals.
- Organize and facilitate regular internal and external meetings, work groups, and other community-building and educational forums.
- Codify best practices and lessons learned throughout each stage of projects or initiatives.
- Conduct research, and design, write, and edit strategy documents, concept notes, briefs, presentations, and other deliverables for a variety of audiences.
- Develop and maintain work plans, milestones and other tools to ensure quality outcomes, including reporting.
- Strategize, coordinate and implement targeted outreach to community residents in collaboration with AAFSC’s Development and Communications team (i.e. develop outreach materials, plan informational sessions on key issues, place targeted ads in ethnic media, etc.).
Capacity Building and Organizational Learning
- Build and maintain active repository of project documents that is made accessible and available on organizational servers.
- Deepen organizational capacity to work collaboratively with community partners so as to invest resources and convene, organize and support critical work that is underway.
- Develop and deliver customized workshops, technical assistance and presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Collaborate across teams by working with program leadership to implement data driven strategies to their programs, as required by evolving programmatic or reporting needs.
- In collaboration with individual program leads and senior management, develop outcomes and indicators that allow for accurate, reliable information collection and reporting.
- Work with individual program teams and senior management to collect and analyze outcome data.
- Provide clear and useful reports for staff, board, and other stakeholders as needed to improve strategies and programs that comply with strategic plans and respond to client needs.
- Develop and manage schedule of quality assurance activities.
- Develop and conduct compliance regulations and audits, program assessment and evaluation, and reviews to drive results.
- Design and build custom reports in databases for quality assurance, program and performance management, and grant management purposes.
- Proactively identify and implement opportunities for data collection improvements.
- Document data quality standards and quality assurance processes.
- Develop and administer surveys, focus groups and other program assessments to establish an ecosystem map of clients’ needs and gaps in needs across all programs.
- Ensure all paperwork and documentation is completed in a timely manner.
Staff Support and Training
- Act as a thought leader with program leads and senior management to identify strengths and gaps in programming, develop process maps, and improve programming.
- Manage training resources and develop new materials as needed.
- Provide additional or ongoing training and support to staff as required.
- Coach and lead diverse teams towards alignment in data, outcomes and overall organizational hygiene.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Participate in AAFSC management and leadership meetings.
- Oversee the hiring, training, and supervising of staff and interns for special projects.
- Attend regular meetings and special events as needed, as an ambassador of AAFSC.
- Perform other duties assigned as necessary by Chief Operating Officer.
BACKGROUND AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience supervising and managing staff and teams.
- Experience in executive-level relationship building; management skills with diverse constituent groups, staff, board members, volunteers and donors.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a variety of concurrent projects.
- Ability to conduct data visualization, using data mapping, geo mapping tools, and/or SPSS is a plus.
- Passion for AAFSC’s mission and vision.
We are an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
Our full-time employees receive the following:
- 12 sick days
- 5 floating holidays
- 15 vacation days per year (up to 3 years); 20 vacation days per year after 3 years of employment
- After 3 months, eligible for health, dental, and vision insurance (individual is fully covered at 100%; additional family is covered by employee under or outside of plan)
- 403b Plan
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Voluntary Aflac coverage
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit 3 references (other than relatives), a resume and a thoughtful cover letter outlining how your skills and experiences meet the responsibilities and qualifications of the position via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone queries please. All cover letters and resumes must be submitted via email. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.