American State Legislators for Gun Violence Prevention seeks Executive Director
The Executive Director of American State Legislators for Gun Violence Prevention (ASLGVP) serves full-time and is responsible for overseeing the strategies, programs, and operations of ASLGVP. The Executive Director reports to and works closely with the ASLGVP Chair, currently New York State Senator Brian Kavanagh, in collaboration with a Steering Committee made up of legislators from multiple states. An ED based in New York City is preferable, but qualified candidates based outside of NYC will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The position is available as soon as April 2018.
ASLGVP is an independent, nonpartisan coalition comprised of over 200 Democratic and Republican members of the legislatures of all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia. Our members include elected representatives of urban, suburban, and rural areas who have come together in recognition of the unique role state legislators must play in preventing gun violence.
ASLGVP members represent diverse perspectives based upon our own experiences and the needs of our respective districts and states, and do not seek to craft a one-size-fits-all agenda. We share a common commitment to learning from each other and developing strategies for reducing gun violence that will be most effective in our districts, our states, and the nation as a whole. We serve as a hub for legislative resources, professional messaging, strategy, research, and peer networking.
For more information, please visit: http://www.aslgvp.org/about-aslgvp.
- Serve as the key management leader of ASLGVP, working closely with the Chair and Steering Committee to create and implement a strategic plan, an annual budget, and a fundraising plan.
- Ensure effective implementation and administration of ASLGVP programs and initiatives. Plan and manage all logistics and content for an annual policy summit, educational and organizing conference calls and webinars, meetings of multi-state working groups, ASLGVP’s participation in events hosted by partner organizations, and other activities.
- Raise funds necessary to ensure ASLGVP’s financial health and to support and grow our capacity to accomplish our mission. Maintain relationships with existing donors. Identify, research, and pursue new fundraising opportunities, including institutional and individual donors, through events, grant applications, direct solicitations, and online campaigns.
- Oversee financial reporting and compliance, working with the Chair and our outside counsel and accountant.
- Lead outreach and recruitment of new members.
- Maintain strong collaborative relationships with advocacy, community, and academic institutions engaging in gun violence prevention, and develop new strategic partnerships.
- Manage communications strategy; publicly represent ASLGVP; work closely with the Chair, Steering Committee, member legislators and their respective communications staffs to execute press releases, statements, and other communications projects; maintain and update website and social media platforms.
- Identify, recruit, and supervise personnel serving as staff or outside consultants.
The ideal candidate will be an outgoing individual with a strong demonstrated commitment to working with governmental, non-profit, and community organizations to achieve objectives consistent with ASLGVP’s mission. Required: Excellent leadership, organizational, and communication skills; strong ability to work independently as well as in close collaboration with others; availability to work evenings and weekends as needed, and to travel within the U.S.; a minimum of 3-5 years related professional experience, including significant success fundraising; strong computer skills (i.e., Quickbooks, Nationbuilder, Mailchimp). Preferred: Professional experience with gun violence prevention and state legislatures; bachelor’s or advanced degree.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be considered in confidence.