The College Advisor will work with students ranging from 9th to 12th grade. The successful candidate will work closely with the program director, college advisement staff and school administration to recruit a group of high school students that will participate in weekly college access workshops. This dynamic advisor will work collaboratively to develop workshops that allow young people to explore college while creating their personal educational roadmap to higher education. The design and implementation of workshops will produce tangible results such as college applications, essay writing, financial aid, financial support programs, scholarships applications etc.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist students during homework help time and maintain an orderly and responsive environment while students are studying
- Establish a comfortable learning environment and implement clear, consistent age-appropriate expectations and rules
- Responsible for the recruitment of 25-30 participants
- Work with program director to develop/facilitate an SAT prep curriculum
- Develop collaborative events with other Phipps Neighborhoods sites
- Supervise students on college trips
- Create weekly lesson plans to be approved by the Program Director and work in collaboration with other college advisor
- Document student progress
- Model appropriate child development practice
- Uphold program policies and procedures and proper use of supplies and materials
- Maintain classroom cleanliness and organization
- Maintain ongoing open communication with parents
- Attend staff meetings, professional development workshops and program events as requested.
- Communicate with all staff, parents, children and community members in a polite and respectful manner so as to represent the program in a professional way
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Program Director
Level of Language Proficiency
- The candidate must have 60+ credits and currently enrolled in degree program
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal and strong classroom management skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and computer literacy
- Bilingual (Spanish speaking) preferred
- Enthusiasm, creativity and initiative
- A sense of humor and a sense of urgency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please note only applicants that apply on our recruitment portal will be considered.