300 South Westgate Drive
Job Title: Organizer 2
With 3 million members, Working America mobilizes working people who don't have the benefit of a union at work to fight for good jobs and a fair economy. As the community affiliate of the AFL-CIO, we unite working people in urban and suburban communities around a shared economic agenda.
The Organizer 2 will work primarily to identify and develop member activists and leaders, mobilize workers to take workplace action on key issues, conduct outreach to organizational allies, and assist the State Director in planning and executing earned media events.
Reports to: State Director
- In collaboration with local management, take the lead on outreach to allies and event organizing as they relate to programmatic organizing objectives;
- Serve as lead in contacting Working America members and workers generally to stimulate interest in organizing through direct contact, to include but not limited to, telephone and online communication, site canvassing, workplace outreach, and door canvassing;
- In collaboration with the local management, take the lead in researching and creating strategies for recruiting, developing leaders and taking workplace action;
- In consultation with the local management, research and develop programmatic ideas around state and local issues connected to organizing;
- Mobilize Working America members and workers to take action around program initiatives and workplace issues;
- Move members up a ladder of engagement and develop Community Action Teams and Worker Action Committees by industry or workplace;
- Use online tools to identify and engage workers and members;
- Conduct outreach to allies to build support for Working America organizing objectives in coordination with the State Director;
- Track outreach and development using database tools;
- Write regular reports for internal and external use;
- In consultation with the Communications team, create and coordinate earned media events;
- Other duties as assigned.
- 2-3 years' experience as an Organizer 1 with Working America or equivalent experience;
- Familiarity with new forms of organizing;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Strong understanding and experience with the labor movement preferred;
- Strong writing and verbal skills;
- Ability to represent Working America to high level contacts at allied organizations;
- Strong ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines and maintain good records;
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team and independently;
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel;
- Some travel required;
- Critical thinking and analysis skills;
- Must be able to work irregular and long hours;
- Must have access to a personal vehicle on a daily basis to drive to worker meetings.
- Greensboro, NC
- FLSA classification: Exempt
Competitive salary and benefits package includes health insurance and 401(k) with employer contribution.
Minimum Education Required