Housing Stabilization Specialist (Housing Case Manager)
- Job posted by Bridges to Independence (Bridges)
Details: Commensurate with experience.
3103 9th Rd North
Bridges to Independence provides emergency shelter and rapid re-housing to individuals and families in Arlington County and the City of Alexandria. The Housing Stabilization Specialist is responsible for supporting efforts to rapidly return individuals or families experiencing homelessness to permanent housing as quickly as possible. Services include housing identification, connection to mainstream resources, financial assistance, and development of community-based natural supports. He/she is also responsible for collaborating across Bridges’ employment services, financial literacy, and youth development programs.
EFFECT ON END RESULTS:
· Ensures Bridges to Independence shelter and rapid re-housing program participants remain focused on obtaining and maintaining permanent housing.
· Ensures participants increase income from project entry to project exit.
· Ensures participants do not return to homelessness.
· Participate in initial entry conference for future participants and any subsequent follow-up case conferences to support success.
· Assess housing barriers of individuals and families experiencing homelessness to determine Housing Stabilization Plan (HSP) service’s needs for purpose of obtaining and/or maintaining permanent housing.
· Assist participants in development of a strength-based/solution-focused individualized goal and action plan that promotes permanent housing and self-sufficiency.
· Determine participant’s eligibility and goals using a person-centered, strengths-based, trauma-informed approach.
· Assist participants in locating and securing housing of their choice, within reason.
· Provide mediation and advocacy with landlords on the participant’s behalf to develop a workable plan to obtain and maintain housing.
· Maintain consistent communication channels, both verbal and written, between several parties (i.e. tenant, landlord, referral source, collaborating agencies, debtors and creditors, etc.).
· Connects guests with mainstream resources and provides information and referral assistance regarding available support from appropriate social service agencies and/or community programs to support efforts to obtain permanent housing.
· Assist in development of and encourage adherence to a personal budget through pro-active housing and budget counseling sessions.
· Identify participant strengths and barriers to stability and assist participants in reducing barriers and linking to resources and services.
· Apply knowledge of residential lease contracts to educate participants of their rights and responsibilities.
· Maintain accurate case files for each participant in the HMIS and/or ETO as appropriate.
· Maintain a complete working file providing activity documentation and copies of all corresponding paperwork.
· Maintain a professional atmosphere always.
· Support key messaging of housing-stabilization across Bridges to Independence housing services continuum including emergency shelter and rapid re-housing.
· Communicate regularly with supervisor, colleagues and stakeholders relaying necessary/important information.
· Attend trainings and professional development opportunities on a regular basis and ass assigned.
· Perform other general duties to support the mission of the organization as requested.
The successful candidate shall possess a bachelor’s degree in human services or related field plus two years community-based social services experience or other related experience with those experiencing homelessness and/or housing instability; or a master’s degree in Social Work and/or another relevant human services discipline. This position requires the ability to work in a team environment as well as the ability to work independently with limited supervision.
Requirements include the ability to interact and communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and other web-based data bases with proficiency. The Housing Support Specialist at a minimum must be able to provide community-based housing support services with dignity and respect toward program participants always; provide direct client services in a strengths-based, trauma informed, and person-centered manner; maintain appropriate documentation of services provided within agency policy. Familiarity with Bowman and/or Efforts to Outcomes desired.
The ability to communicate in Spanish, both orally and in writing, is desired.
· Acceptable criminal background check
· Negative drug screening
· Negative TB test or chest x-ray
· CPR/First Aid Certification must be acquired and maintained once employed
Bridges to Independence offers a competitive benefits package including, but not limited to, health insurance, paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave, transportation reimbursement, and employer matched retirement.
Level of Language Proficiency
Multilingual candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required