8151 15th Avenue
CASA & CASA IN ACTION SYNOPSIS:
CASA’s primary mission is to work with the community to improve the quality of life and fight for equal treatment and full access to resources and opportunities for low-income Latinos and their families. CASA works with other low-income immigrant communities, makes its programs and activities available to them, and joins with other organizations to advocate for social, political, and economic justice for all low-income communities. CASA has created a separate affiliate to expand the tools we have available to serve the immigrant community. CASA in Action is a separate, but related, nonprofit organization that is exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code. Although CASA and CASA in Action share a common goal of supporting immigrants and low-income people in Maryland and adjacent communities, CASA and CASA in Action are separate organizations. Each is a separate nonprofit corporation with its own board of directors. A set of employees at the two organizations, including the person filling this position, shares their time between the two organizations. This has no effect on salary or benefits.
The Politics and Communications Department provides strategic campaign, lobbying, electoral, and communications support to all departments at CASA and CASA in Action.
The Communications Manager is in charge of managing all external communication processes of our two organizations under the supervision and in direct coordination with the Director of PAC. Functions include traditional and social media coverage, program PR, strategic communications campaign work, implementation of web and digital campaigns, production of written and filmed content, design of materials, and more. CASA operates a very aggressive communications program with a variety of content areas producing hundreds of coverage on an annual basis. Communications work is focused on programming in three states and nationally.
- Recruit, train, and supervise communications staff, interns, and consultants
- Respond and coordinate media inquiries relating to CASA programs and projects
- Develop and maintain media contacts
- Prepare written documents in English and Spanish including press advisories and releases, talking points, relevant fact sheets, info graphics, other press packet materials such as bios, agenda, etc.
- Plan and execute press events including conferences, report releases, etc. Design media message angles and coverage strategies.
- Conduct strategic planning to utilize press coverage to advance campaign goals
- Identify, in coordination with other CASA staff, community members to speak to press
- Train and prepare spokespersons, including community members, for presentations at press events or for individual interviews
- Lead multi-organizational communication teams for large-scale events
- Plan and execute the logistics for media talent, political leaders, public figures, among other speakers
- Design and implement an archive system for press coverage
- Create and implement educational communications programs and campaigns
- Production of TV, radio, digital, and print PSA’s and graffic design products
- Plan and execute large media buys for campaigns.
- Create and monitor a highly effective multi-platform social media promotions program including programs and tools such as: Geo-fence, Behavioral targeting, search retargeting, site retargeting, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter marketing strategies.
- Supervise the development and maintenance of CASA’s web properties
- Implement list-building and segmentation strategies for all communications platforms
- Implement across-the-board take action systems for activists to communicate with policymakers
- Create a strategic plan regarding press necessities
- Implementation of PR online tools such as: Cision, and Vocus.
- Plan and execute town halls for national television including design of props, recruitment of speakers, etc.
- Identify best practices for improved audience targeting
- Develop methods and metrics for message effectiveness on the digital platforms
- Produce timely verbal and written reports to supervisor
- Bachelor’s Degree required or commensurate experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English and Spanish
- Commitment to progressive issues
- Minimum of five years’ experience in communications or with grassroots organizing that including a communications component, preferably in immigrant communities. Professional press experience will be considered if accompanied by a proven commitment to progressive issues.
- Experience running effective pr or educational communications campaigns
- Extensive experience with both traditional and new media platforms and execution of digital campaigns
- Creativety and technical skills to adapt new communications softwares and platforms as they emerge
- Preferred professional production experience
- A minimum of 3 years experience pitching both English and Spanish press outlets
- At least two years of experience supervising staff
- Able to maintain databases and other office computer skills (Word, excel, office, e-mail)
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple ongoing projects
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends
- Own transportation (car and valid drivers license)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand or walk..
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
ADA: The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
OSHA: A Communications Manager is not to handle any human body fluids, biological agents, laboratory chemicals, or be exposed to hazardous materials such as noise, asbestos, or carcinogens.
CASA and CASA in Action do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or sexual orientation
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification. Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish
Minimum Education Required