AmeriCorps VISTA National Community Engagement Coordinator (2018-2019)
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org .
The High Level
The VISTA National Community Engagement Coordinator will develop and document new/improved systems, best practices, and tools for to support the growth and quality of volunteer recruitment, volunteer onboarding, and volunteer engagement for Reading Partners. This role is supervised by Reading Partners’ National Community Engagement Manager. Reading Partners VISTAs offers an amazing chance to give back through capacity-building roles. As a VISTA, you’ll receive benefits, a great place to serve, and the opportunity to springboard a glowing and growing career. Our top VISTA National Community Engagement Coordinators are ambassadors for service, demonstrate a passion for relationship and systems development, and strongly believe in our vision and values.
What you’ll do and how you’ll do it:
Volunteer Recruitment Analysis
Research, create, and implement systems that increase the efficiency and effectiveness of online volunteer recruitment for Reading Partners.
- Research potential tools and strategies for testing effectiveness of online recruiting sources and strategies by evaluating optimal language, ad-testing, calls to action, photos, etc. for delivering volunteer sign-ups.
- Propose and implement tools and strategies to increase impact of online recruiting sources.
Volunteer On-boarding Strategy Analysis
Research, execute and document best practices that increase efficiency and effectiveness of volunteer tutor onboarding.
- Review current organizational/regional tools and strategies related to volunteer tutor onboarding experience; identify gaps and areas of improvement to best evaluate current onboarding experience.
- Propose and implement new strategies to improve volunteer tutor onboarding experience for Reading Partners.
Volunteer and Community Engagement Analysis
Recommend, implement, and document best practices that increase volunteer satisfaction and engagement.
- Review existing data analysis systems for measuring engagement and satisfaction of new and current volunteers tutors; identify gaps and areas of improvement.
- Create and implement new data analysis systems, reports, and dashboards for testing engagement and satisfaction of new and current volunteer tutors.
- Create training materials that support the adoption of new best practices, systems, and processes increasing volunteer satisfaction and engagement.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Are dedicated to national and community service
- Have a strong desire to fight poverty
- Demonstrate a passion for literacy initiatives
- Are flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced environment
- Take initiative in meeting goals and seeking professional growth
- Can problem-solve through challenges and failures
- Pay strong attention to detail & manage multiple priorities
- Can quickly learn new technology systems and have a high level of comfort with MS Office, Google Apps
- Boast a deep belief in our mission & root your work in our core values
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Hold US Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alum/alumna
What we offer:
- This VISTA member earns an annual compensation of $24,053.12. The VISTA program will authorize relocation allowance if a VISTA member moves more than 50 miles to their service site. Health insurance, including dental and vision coverage, is provided at no cost for our members; childcare assistance is available through VISTA for those who qualify. You may be eligible for student loan forbearance on federal student loans. VISTA members can earn an education award of $5,920 after successfully completing their service term. VISTA members receive ten sick days and ten vacation days per year.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
- Service Terms : VISTA members serve full-time for a 12-month, 365-day term. This VISTA member would serve from November, 2018 to November, 2019.
- Travel : VISTA members may need to travel between Reading Partners sites and offices; reliable transportation is recommended.
- Reading Partners AmeriCorps Orientation : During the first five weeks of service, Reading Partners VISTA members attend a virtual pre-service orientation, introducing AmeriCorps VISTA and Reading Partners. Your direct supervisor will provide role-specific training.
- Where we serve : Reading Partners AmeriCorps members serve in a variety of regions, including California, Washington, Texas, Oklahoma, North Carolina, South Carolina, Minnesota, Maryland, Washington DC, and New York. This position will serve as a VISTA National Community Engagement Coordinator at the Reading Partners national office in Oakland, CA.
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners VISTA team, please submit the following application materials to our online posting :
- Responses to essay questions
We look forward to hearing from you!
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity organization, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested in joining the VISTA team with Reading Partners on the small but mighty Community Engagement team? We'd love to hear from you! Apply via THIS ONLINE POSTING, and reach out to email@example.com with any questions!