Development and Digital Communications Strategist
- Job posted by California Latinas for Reproductive Justice
California Latinas for Reproductive Justice (CLRJ) is a statewide organization committed to honoring the experiences of Latinas to uphold our dignity, our bodies, sexuality and families. We build power and cultivate leadership through community education, policy advocacy, and community-informed research to achieve Reproductive Justice.
Since its founding in 2004, CLRJ has emerged as an important state-level actor and has a growing profile on the national level. CLRJ is the leading California-based Latina Reproductive Justice organization and is the only statewide advocacy organization whose mission focuses specifically on promoting Latinas’ Reproductive Justice through policy advocacy combined with community-informed research, community mobilization, alliance-building, leadership development and long-term movement building strategies. At the national level, CLRJ also serves as a recognized leader in promoting a vibrant Reproductive Justice Movement on behalf of the most underserved Latinas, low-income women of color, immigrant women and their communities.
At the center of our work is a commitment to our individual and collective well-being. CLRJ’s vision is to open-up dialogues and challenge fear, shame, and taboos so that we can exercise our power to care for and protect ourselves, our familias and our communities. We promote a cultura that accepts positive sexuality and health as being integral to achieving equality and justice.
CLRJ is looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to support our growing communications and development work. The Development and Digital Communications Strategist (DDCS) is responsible for advancing CLRJ’s mission, core goals and objectives through the development and implementation of online organizing and fundraising strategies. The DDCS is supervised by the Communications Director(CD) and will also work collaboratively with the organization’s development team.
The DDCS will provide support for CLRJ’s programs including policy, research, community engagement, and fundraising activities. The DDCS is responsible for the organization’s online presence and the creation of digital content for the organization’s multiple online platforms, as well as our growing donor program. The DDCS will develop online digital campaigns and provide graphic design support with the supervision of the CD, to grow our online base and influence our online followers to take action on the ground. They will also work with the organization’s development team to grow the number of donors and total individual giving, helping with strategy development and implementation of annual giving opportunities, major gifts, and organizational communications initiatives. The Development and Digital Communications Strategist will additionally be responsible for tracking, and evaluating the organization’s online impact, keeping up to date on the latest social media developments, and monitoring the progress of the individual donor program.
Principal Areas of Responsibility
Online Presence & Graphic Design Support
- Create and publish digital content for our website, social media channels, and email that inspires people to get involved.
- Maintain, update daily, and grow CLRJ’s social media presence, including managing a comprehensive social media calendar and determining ways to expand and/or strengthen online community engagement.
- Provide graphic design support for all organizational collateral with the direction of CD.
- Regularly review analytics and online feedback / messages on posted content to improve CLRJ’s online communications.
- Collect and organize creative assets (images, text, audio and video) so they’re available and ready for use by CD and DDCS primarily, and as needed by other CLRJ staff.
- Work with CLRJ’s Communications Director to maintain and update CLRJ’s website. Keep information up-to-date, create content and help coordinate content development with CLRJ’s various program areas.
- Monitor and document website and online traffic and statistics through Google Analytics, Facebook Insights and other tools with an eye to developing new and innovative ways to utilize CLRJ’s website, increase traffic, downloads, and interaction with our communities, policymakers and media.
Donor Development Support
- Plan and implement an annual giving program targeting current and prospective donors, significantly expanding the number of donors and amount of donations.
- Write compelling communications collateral including: Organizational backgrounders or updates, campaign or event landing pages, phone scripts, donor outreach and thank-you letters, e-newsletters, invitations, and direct marketing email campaigns.
- Contribute to the development of CLRJ’s database, tracking and monitoring systems as related to annual giving and audience growth.
- Lead event planning for the organization’s annual fundraising event(s).
- Steward a portfolio of donors, making cultivation plans, building relationships with existing and potential donors, and executing ask(s).
- Track and analyze individual donor giving and results of fundraising campaigns and activities in Powerbase (CLRJ’s database), and report real time donation results.
- Provide general support to the Development & Communications teams as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent written and verbal communication with a proven ability to target a range of audiences with cultural, linguistic, age, professional and literacy appropriateness.
- Ability to create accurate and compelling visual and written social media content about a range of reproductive justice / social justice issues.
- Strong visual and graphic design skills and familiarity with design software such as Adobe Creative Suite is a must.
- Familiarity with social media management tools such as Buffer, HootSuite and Tweet Deck.
- Familiarity with online analytics tools for multiple channels including Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, etc.
- Basic HTML / CSS skills — ability to edit emails and web content in HTML / CSS when needed.
- Familiarity with Powerbase or CiviCRM is a plus!
- Ability to adapt quickly to new tools and platforms as they are developed.
- 1 to 2 years experience in digital communications and graphic design or equivalent.
- 2 to 3 years experience in fund development, particularly creation of donor campaigns and cultivation of individual donors.
- Valid California driver’s license and legally required car insurance, and access to a personal vehicle to be used to conduct CLRJ business strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to interact with current and potential donors in a one-on-one or group setting.
- Proven commitment to Reproductive Justice or social justice issues.
- Spanish language proficiency (oral and written) preferred.
- Photography and video skills a plus.
- Creativity, positive energy, passion for social justice, and excellent team-building skills.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends, occasionally.
Location, Duration & Compensation
- This is a non-exempt, full-time position.
- This position is based in Los Angeles, CA, preferably. Some local and national travel may be required.
- Excellent benefits package including: Medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short-term disability insurance approximately $650 monthly ($7,800 annually).
- Paid monthly office parking equivalent to $130 monthly ($1,560 annually)
- Paid sick/personal time, and 2-4 weeks of paid vacation depending on the years of employment.
- Paid organizational-wide staff wellness days.
- Eleven days of holiday pay, with additional winter holiday pay available at the discretion of the Executive Director.
- Significant opportunities for professional development.
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish - read, write and speak
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume in Word or PDF, as well as 3 sample graphics (jpg format) and one writing sample to Human Resources via email at: email@example.com. Please write Development and Digital Communications Strategist in the email subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Desired start date is September 1, 2018. Position open until filled.
CLRJ is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender people and those with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.