Part Time Temporary Contract
153 Columbia Street
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) is a small, progressive non-profit coordinating the planning, development and stewardship of a 14-mile bicycle and pedestrian route along Brooklyn’s waterfront. The Program and Events Intern will work directly with BGI’s Communications and Events Manager and Executive Director, assisting with special events, community outreach and program initiatives. The position will manage BGI’s Newsletter database, provide general office duties, support development and fundraising initiatives and assist with special events and community outreach. Experience will be gained in event planning, communications, development, public outreach, non- profit management and fundraising.
Event coordination (60%)
- Assist with implementing logistics for BGI's special events including, but not limited to: The Epic Ride on July 21, 2018; the Brooklyn Greenway Half Marathon on October 14, 2018 and various other programs which include but are not limited to vendor communications/management, planning, event coordination, amongst others
Volunteer/Intern Management (10%)
- Assisting with BGI’s volunteer and internship program including volunteer recruitment and management for events and tracking volunteers in database
Partnership Research (10%)
- Research and document new media partner leads
Public outreach and programs (10%)
- Assist with the logistics and execution of summer BGI public outreach programs, including volunteer planting days and representing BGI at partner events and festivals
Communications and Database Management (10%)
- Assist with drafting BGI communication materials, web/blog content and social media as needed
- Manage BGI’s contact Newsletter database, including logging in contacts, cleaning list, and ensuring details are up to date
- Pursuing or completed a degree in Communications, Event Management, Marketing, Public Relations, Non-profit Management, Sustainability or related field
- Experience or exposure to event planning.
- Excellent networking and communication skills with experience writing communication materials (print, web, or social media) and good phone manner
- Creative thinker
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent organization abilities
- Proficiency in MS Office
- Adobe Suite a plus
- Experience with database systems a plus
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor and a positive attitude
This is a short term contract starting May 7 to August 2, 2018. The position averages 24 hours a week over four days (Monday-Thursday) with additional weekend and evening work on occasion.
The Program and Events Associate will be compensated at a rate of $18/hour, paid in a bi-monthly basis.
- BGI offers candidate exposure to and interactions with a diverse range of stakeholders including those in the government, political, academic, civic, business and non-profit arenas
- A chance to develop professional skills in non-profit, cause-oriented setting
- The opportunity to gain an understanding of how special events fit into the greater mission of a nonprofit
- A chance to make a positive difference in the community
Brooklyn Greenway Initiative (BGI) is a 501(c) 3 non-profit corporation planning the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway and its long-term stewardship. The Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway is a planned 14-mile, off-street, landscaped route for cyclists and pedestrians, from Greenpoint to Bay Ridge. When completed, the Brooklyn Waterfront Greenway will connect Brooklyn to the Manhattan Greenway network. Public benefits will include increased waterfront access, more diverse transportation and active recreation options and increased economic development.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send resume, cover letter and a 2-page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Programs and Events Associate” in the subject line.
Submission deadline: April 16, 2018. Applicants will be notified by April 23, 2018 if successful. No phone calls please.