Role & Responsibilities
The Deputy Country Director manages all aspects of the implementation and development of the programme and support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country strategy. Provide leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair programmes. Play a key role in external representation, legal compliance grant management, programme coordination and team leadership.
The purpose of Medair’s multi-sector relief programme in Ukraine is to save lives and alleviate human suffering by working in emergency response locations, with vulnerable populations and providing essential life-saving health, WASH, shelter/infrastructure, NFI/CVA, protection and mental health and psychosocial services.
Workplace & Conditions
Position based in Ternipol or Kyiv with field travel to West, Central and North Regions of Ukraine via Poland.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, from 12 to 24 months, 6 to 12 months will also be possible.
Key Activity Areas
- Deputise for the Country Director in his / her absence.
- Actively participate and contribute to the development and review of the SDS Strategy.
- Contribute and support the development of proposals and reports for the respective projects.
- Oversee programme implementation in consultation with the relevant senior field managers and in accordance with the project proposals, ensure objectives are met within the required time frames and budgets. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications with all country teams implementing and supporting the programme plans.
- Support field managers in all aspects of finance, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring knowledge of and adherence to applicable operational systems, donor requirements and country programme strategy.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines, as appropriate and with the relevant field managers and GSO staff, so as to enhance the smooth running of the programmes through standardised procedures and improved support.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the programme, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frames of the project proposals.
- Represent Medair at relevant national and local meetings with government officials, contractors, other NGOs, etc., reporting back as applicable to staff, field managers and GSO.
- Supervise the project budget management and expenditure, in collaboration with field managers and GSO staff, ensuring budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development. Assist other managers in their line management responsibilities, including recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc., and deputise for them during any periods of absence.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Develop direct reports to improve their knowledge competence and performance.
- Monitor the security status of the area(s) of operation on a regular basis, liaising as appropriate, with the NGO Forum, other NGOs, the UN, local authorities or other relevant security bodies. Make reports.
- Ensure all staff members and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics. Oversee staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Ensure country programmes are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards e.g. Sphere and HAP standards and WHO recommendations.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). Ukrainian and/or Polish will be an advantage.
- 5-years post-qualification experience in a management position.
- 3-years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere, CHS and other international humanitarian guidelines.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Experience in training/mentoring staff.
- Advanced leadership and management skills; ability to build trust and enforce procedures.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills; committed to team-building.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
All new deploying international staff to Medair’s country programmes (and other roles which require field travel) should be fully vaccinated with a WHO-approved COVID vaccine, supported with a COVID vaccination certificate as evidence.