District of Columbia
Produce short videos and animations and design a wide range of print, presentation, digital, and video communication materials. Typical assignments include designing infographics, publications, logos, brochures, training curricula, kits, posters, social media graphics, PowerPoint presentations, and HTML emails. These products will be part of the organization’s work in areas as health, education, civil society, environment, economic development, and research.
- Assist with and lead video production process, including storyboards, art direction and editing.
- Conceptualize and develop print communication materials in response to the client’s communication goals.
- Meet all agreed-upon deadlines and budget parameters.
- Design digital communication materials (i.e. HTML emails).
- Create infographics, diagrams, and illustrations.
- Develop animations such as short animated GIFs, for digital and social media use.
- Input revisions efficiently and accurately.
- Articulate the rationale behind design solutions in client presentations and correspondence.
- Prepare mock-ups and comps for presentations.
- Prepare print-ready files as needed and work with print vendors.
- Communicate with art directors, project managers, and/or vendors about project milestones.
- Collaborate with project team members, project officers, and clients—build rapport and nurture productive professional working relationships through the course of the project.
- Contribute to business development activities, including writing proposal sections related to design work.
- Continuously improve technical and conceptual design skills.
- Maintain archive of projects following the established file structure and organization.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of web design, HTML, illustration, motion graphics, and video production required.
- Must have a strong background in print and digital design and demonstrate an impeccable sense of typography and expertise in translating data to information graphics.
- Must have a strong concept-driven portfolio and exhibit a solid understanding of design principles.
- Good balance of conceptualization and production skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software products (Premiere, After Effects, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) and Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to nurture client relationships.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able thrive in a diverse, fast-paced, collaborative studio environment and have superb time management skills.
- Section 508-compliance coding knowledge preferred.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Works on problems that are diverse in scope and require judgment in resolving or making recommendations for solutions.
- Respond to client feedback in a timely and professional manner.
- Exercises judgment within defined policies and procedures to obtain solutions to perform duties.
- Must be able to make accurate decisions related to specific functional area.
- Has no supervisory responsibility.
- Receives instructions on new assignments.
- Reports to a Manager and Associate Director or Director.
- Associate Degree or its International Equivalent in Graphic Design, Communication Design, Publications, or Related Field.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Typically requires a minimum 3 - 5 years professional experience in graphic design and print production.
- Non-governmental organization (NGO) experience preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 - 50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
- Apple Macintosh, Adobe Creative Suite (including Premiere), Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
- Less than 10%
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360's Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Minimum Education Required