Details: Competitive Salary and Benefits
1509 16th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
GAIN’s purpose is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving the consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially those most vulnerable to malnutrition. In particular, we aim to improve the consumption of safe and nutritious foods for—at a minimum—1 billion people over the next five years and target major improvements to food systems, resulting in more diverse and healthier diets for vulnerable people in countries where we work
We began 15 years ago with a belief that fortifying staple foods such as flour, oil and salt could help tackle poor nutrition, and since then we have worked with many partners to make fortified staple foods available to more than 1 billion people. GAIN has achieved much progress toward that goal. Now, it is increasingly clear that food systems, which shape the demand, availability, affordability, convenience and desirability of foods, actually contribute to the poor diets that result in poor nutrition and have become the number-one risk factor for ill health.
The Associate will work closely with the Senior Technical Advisor and Senior Associate to support the building, scoping and delivery of the Food Supply Chain’s (FVC) Global Program and to ensure that all project activities are delivered according to the set targets and implementation timeframe.
Project Support to Food Supply Chain Portfolio (50%)
- Be able to track and respond to variety of requests regarding background research, communication outputs, contracts, budgets and donor reports acting as interface between project teams, corporate services and the Director of Food Supply Chain.
- Provide operational and program administrative support to all projects under the FSC portfolio.
- Support with data collection/literature reviews to support projects under the FSC portfolio
- Work with the Senior Technical Advisor and Senior Associate to explore and build new FSC initiatives.
- Assist in the preparation and finalization of donor reports
- Continually generate and update resource mobilization materials to promote project activities.
- Support projects in drafting and finalizing project communication materials
- Write and edit blog pieces, success stories, and/or public reports as needed
- Work with GAIN Communications Team to regularly update GAIN FSC web page
- Design and update FSC communications materials (ex. One pagers, brochures, infographics, presentations, etc.)
Grants and Contracts (25%)
- Support contracting process and management for the Postharvest Loss Alliance for Nutrition, and the newly emerging Food System Innovations portfolio– supporting project leads with managing internal review processes. Be able to clearly write and articulate deliverables, deadlines, and work to be performed in line with GAIN’s contracting procedures.
- Manage global contracts for the program including drafting Terms of Reference and consultant negotiations. Track contract deliverable deadlines and save final deliverables and reports.
- Support country teams and in particular the Postharvest Loss Alliance for Nutrition and Food System Innovations Program in managing calls for proposals and administering the grant portfolio including budgets, contracts and grantee reporting. Duties include ensuring compliance with GAIN and donor requirements as well as management to deliver on workplans in collaboration with GAIN Country offices.
Internal and Donor Relations (15%)
- Manage internal reporting by drafting and compiling information and draft presentations on project and financial highlights for bi-annual board meetings and other management reviews. Assist with preparation of external presentations for donor meetings and external events.
- Manage donor reporting and annual work planning process. Review, edit and gather additional information as needed for work plans and reports prepared by country teams and write the reports for global projects. Integrate financial reports and prepare summary presentations for presentation to donors. Manage review of reports by Donor Relations team and Director, Food Supply Chain or designate.
- Represent GAIN at meetings and events
- Responsible for production and quality control of donor deliverables
Initiative Support (10%)
- Manage FVC internship program including developing ToRs and deliverables, conduct initial recruitment, and provide day-to-day management of interns including mentoring and coaching.
- Regular update and organize FSC project files on PMIS and Sharepoint, as needed
- Coordinate with Project Managers and Communications Officers to create new material and ensure timely submission of outputs to GAIN Communications Team
Other tasks as assigned.
Key Organizational Relationships
- Reports to the Director of the Food Supply Chain Initiative.
- Works closely with Senior Technical Advisor and Senior Associate to implement and support projects in the field
- Manages Initiative’s summer interns including initial recruitment and day-to-day management of interns
- Works closely with other team members in the Initiative and with relevant Program Delivery staff.
- Collaborates with GAIN’s other Initiatives, key business streams and country offices.
- Liaises with network of consultants and experts, who provide technical assistance to the Initiative.
Skills & Attributes:
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Highly organized with keen attention to detail.
- Talented in PowerPoint and other publication tools to create communication materials
- Proven ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, problem solving, and creativity.
- Strong communication skills in multicultural, multi-lingual environments, written and verbal.
- Strong analytical abilities and a passion for learning.
- Flexible, goal oriented and willingness to occasionally take early calls or travel to challenging environments.
- IT literate with excellent MS Office skills including Word and Excel
- Understanding and experience with international development, particularly food systems, agriculture, nutrition and other similar topics.
- Experience in a developing country context preferred
- Master's degree in a relevant field preferred
Our benefits package includes employer sponsored health plan toward which GAIN pays 85% of employee premiums, 401(k) plan toward which GAIN contributes up to 8%, and five weeks vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply via our website: http://jobs.gainhealth.org/vacancies/409/associate_food_value_chains/washington_dc/
Applicants must be authorized to work lawfully in the United States for GAIN NoSCA, LLC