Details: depending on experience; may be prorated if person hired elects 80%-time position instead of full-time.
576 B Street
VIDAS seeks an experienced Attorney to work with its Senior Attorney in Sonoma County (primarily Santa Rosa) to represent immigrants in removal proceedings in the San Francisco Immigration Court. The Staff Attorney will have office hours in Santa Rosa and will appear in court in San Francisco one to two days per week, generally, representing both detained and non-detained clients in their removal proceedings. VIDAS will consider applicants who are available for four (4) or five (5) days per week for this position.
The Staff Attorney will report to the Legal Director (Senior Attorney) and will have a variety of responsibilities, including but not limited to:
· Provide legal advice and counsel on immigration issues, including participating in immigration clinics and assisting with emergency cases;
· Provide direct representation to detained and non-detained immigrants in bond, master and individual hearings in San Francisco and, possibly, by telephonic appearance in other venues;
· Prepare motions, applications, briefs and exhibits of evidence for advocacy before the Immigration Court, the Board of Immigration Appeals, Immigration and Customs Enforcement Field Office, and U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services;
· Develop and present training/guidance materials on immigration law issues affecting Sonoma County immigrants and their families for Know Your Rights and other community education fora;
- Provide hands-on mentorship to VIDAS paralegal staff, equipping them to work effectively in preparing applications, declarations and other documents needed for representation;
- Assist in oversight of progress on objectives and deliverables for grant reporting, process mapping, and tracking data and outcomes;
- Facilitate cross-referrals with social services, mental health and medical providers;
- Support Legal Director and Executive Director with project management tasks, including reporting, and funder and media relations.
Medical coverage, holidays and paid time off. Young organization, hope for more benefits in future.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent speaking and writing in English, and very competent speaking, comprehension, reading and writing in Spanish.
Minimum Education Required