Details: Starting pay range $21.20 to $24.37
2530 San Pablo Avenue
The Ecology Center
The Ecology Center is a 47-year-old nonprofit located in West Berkeley. Our mission is to inspire and build a sustainable, healthy, and just future for the East Bay, California, and beyond. The Ecology Center transforms the ideas of sustainability into everyday practice. We offer information you can act on, infrastructure you can count on, and leadership for lasting change. We are working toward a world of resilient communities, zero waste and toxics, equal access to healthy food, sustainable resource use, and a safe and stable climate.
Founded in the run-up to the first Earth Day in 1970, the Ecology Center has been a regional and national leader on a wide range of issues, turning vision into action and cementing it with advocacy. We operate the nation's first and longest running curbside recycling service, nationally recognized food and farming programs, and model education and engagement activities.
We are a committed, congenial, and diverse staff dedicated to making the world a better place through action. Every employee is integral to the success of our organization. We value vision, collaboration, and creative problem-solving. If you are passionate and qualified, we encourage you to apply to be part of our team.
The Farmers’ Markets Access & Equity (FMAE) Program works to establish, implement, promote, and incentivize Federal Assistance Benefit use at farmers’ markets and other direct marketing outlets statewide. The goal of the program is to create greater healthy food choices for low-income and underserved populations and drive additional customers/income to mid-sized family farmers.
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Farmers’ Market Access and Equity Program Coordinator works under the direction of the Farmers’ Market Access & Equity Program Manager to assist with all aspects relating to the Ecology Center’s work promoting healthy food access at California farmers’ markets. The Farmers’ Markets Access and Equity Program Coordinator works to establish, implement, promote, and incentivize Federal Assistance Benefit use at farmers’ markets and other direct marketing outlets to create greater healthy food choices for low-income and underserved populations and drive additional customers/income to small and mid-sized family farmers.
● Assist Program Manager in developing Program work-plan, goals, and objectives in accordance with grant objectives and the Ecology Center mission and strategic plan.
● Assist Program Manager in executing work-plan, goals, and objectives associated with the statewide Market Match Program, the Farmers’ Market EBT Program, and the Farmers’ Market Finder tool.
● Provide support and technical assistance to Market Match partners, including but not limited to training on reporting and invoicing procedures and other program requirements
● Assist the finance team with reviewing and approving monthly invoices and reporting materials.
● Assist in curating and updating the Program’s outreach, promotional, and training tools including the production and distribution of the Program’s electronic newsletter, the Market Match website, the Farmers’ Market Finder website, the program’s Facebook page and other social networking tools.
● Assist with facilitating bi-monthly webinars, phone calls, the annual Market Match conference, and other meetings.
● Educate, recruit, and inform farmers’ market managers, associations, and partner organizations interested in CalFresh EBT access at farmers’ markets and Market Match incentives, through the development and distribution of Program communications, including informational materials and e-newsletters.
● Periodically coordinate regional outreach campaign logistics including direct mailers, text message, and other forms of outreach, aimed at recruiting new customers to farmers’ markets.
● Perform site-visits with Market Match partners throughout the state to ensure program and grant compliance.
● Input and maintain data in order to feed statewide database, fundraise, and report for grants.
● Customize promotional, outreach, and educational collateral.
● Provide technical assistance to farmers’ market managers and associations that wish to establish, implement, and promote their market’s CalFresh EBT program. This includes, but is not limited to: assistance with FNS application, acquiring Point Of Sale (POS) equipment, EBT scrip design and ordering, planning for market staffing issues, record-keeping and vendor education.
● Conduct follow up activities to track and report progress in establishing and implementing EBT programs.
● Field initial phone calls and emails regarding Market Match, Farmers’ Market EBT, Farmers’ Market Finder, answer questions, and direct parties to appropriate resource or individual.
● Meet with the Program Manager and FMAE team once per week or as needed.
● Observe safe operating practices and comply with organizational safety policies.
● Maintain familiarity with, follow, and ensure staff compliance with all Ecology Center policies and procedures in the performance of daily duties.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● High School Diploma/GED required.
● A Bachelor’s Degree and one year of general work experience, or three years of general work experience, including at least one year coordinating or managing projects, programs or grants.
● Demonstrated commitment to the Ecology Center mission and vision
● Proven ability to work independently and exercise good judgment in a variety of environments and situations
● Passionate about working to build sustainable and equitable food systems; knowledge of farmers’ markets and federal food assistance programs (SNAP, WIC, SSI/SSDI.)
● Proven ability to provide technical assistance and/or and communicate effectively and courteously with a diverse audience.
● Ability to process documents and data with accuracy and efficiency.
● Proven ability in developing and maintaining collaborative relationships with clients, non-profit partners, other stakeholders, and/or members of the public.
● Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office-Word, Excel, group e-mail, GoogleDocs and social media sites; experience with Adobe suite and/or graphic design and newsletter layout is a plus.
● Ability to work independently to organize and perform assigned work on a daily and weekly basis.
● Ability to work collaboratively and in a team.
● Ability to communicate effectively and courteously with a diverse audience even when in conflict.
● Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least two years experience coordinating or managing projects, programs, or grants
- Experience working for and commitment to building sustainable food systems
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, Chinese, or Vietnamese
- Experience working with farmers’ market managers, farmers, and vendors
- Direct experience with the CalFresh/SNAP or WIC programs
Salary and Benefits:
Full-time, non-exempt position; starting hourly rate is $21.20 to $24.37 depending on qualifications. Please note that only internal candidates are eligible for the highest starting pay rate.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
We value diversity. People of color, people LGBTQIA-identified, women, veterans, and formerly incarcerated individuals are strongly encouraged to apply. EOE/AA.
This position is eligible for benefits which include fully paid employee medical, dental, optional vision plan, fully vested 401K plan, vacation/sick/holiday pay, Employee Assistance Program
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
1. Complete application found at www.ecologycenter.org/jobs/.
2. Send completed application, resume, and cover letter in pdf format to Leah Ricci at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add “FMAE Coordinator II” to email subject line.
Open until filled. Please apply early as this position posting may close at any time.