Comic Relief US is seeking a quick learning, self-sufficient individual who possesses a strong attention to detail to serve as the Staff Accountant on our Finance team. The Staff Accountant will directly report to the Controller and will provide a high level of support in day-to-day responsibilities and activities for the Finance department.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible, exempt, non-supervisory position with the possibility to grow as our team expands.
Comic Relief US partners with Grantees who support and serve communities of color and constituent-led organizations. Candidates whose lived experiences reflect those of the partners we work with are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Manage and perform daily accounts receivable (AR) and accounts payable (AP) activities including but limited to the following:
- Accounts Receivable
- Billing and collecting outstanding Donor/Client receivables
- Recording donations, earned revenues, and other income to the accounting system
- Accounts Payable
- Setting up and updating Vendor information
- Entering Invoices and recording expenses
- Support Controller with monthly close-out activities:
- Reconcile credit cards, AP, AR
- Balance sheet reconciliations
- Post journal entries to general ledger (GL) to record revenue, cash receipts, and expenses
- Prepare bank and merchant reconciliations
- Post bi-weekly payroll data including reviewing, updating, and recording payroll allocations and benefits
- Review, investigate, and correct errors and inconsistencies in financial entries, documents, and reports
- Maintains good working relationships with fiscally-sponsored projects, vendors, funders, and employees regarding financial relationships with the organization
- Assist Controller with annual year-end schedules and preparation
- Maintain the accuracy of general ledger
- Coordinate and manage state charitable registrations
- Perform other functions and responsibilities as assigned by the Controller
- Support the Controller in the formulation, execution, and monitoring of the operating budget process
- Works collaboratively with administrative and programmatic staff as well as external partners (i.e. Vendors and Donors/Clients) to achieve overall Comic Relief’s goals and objectives
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance and/or related field
- At least 2-4 years of accounting experience at a similar-sized non-profit organization is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for non-profit organizations and general accounting procedures and policies
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in using software solutions such as Microsoft Office (Excel is a must) and Google Workspace
- Knowledge of Intacct and/or equivalent accounting software i.e. Financial Edge / Quickbooks
- Experience with Cashpro preferred and/or equivalent online banking
PERSONAL QUALITIES & ABILITIES
- Strong oral and written communication skills and exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Motivated self-starter and a quick learner with the ability to both work independently and to collaborate with colleagues at all levels of the organization
- A high level of professionalism and customer service orientation
- Superior organization and time management skills with the ability to manage and prioritize own workload
- Demonstrated ability to creatively solve problems and think outside the box
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and handle confidential matters
- Experience and interest in working with diverse populations and communicating financial and accounting concepts to lay audiences
- Comfortable and capable of working with constant change and on multiple projects simultaneously
- Deep commitment to Comic RelieF’s mission and approach.
- Experience implementing significant new accounting systems, policies, and procedures is strongly preferred
Comic Relief US values diversity and is committed to the recruitment and retention of individuals of underrepresented backgrounds including with regard to race, religion, gender and sexual orientation.