Details: commensurate with experience
110 Wall Street
Community Food Advocates (CFA) is a small, but mighty policy, advocacy and organizing not-for-profit that fights for high impact, far reaching policy solutions to address poverty and hunger in New York City. We work to make the resources of government, at all levels, benefit people who are the most economically marginalized by promoting policies that strengthen and support the full utilization of publicly-funded food and income support programs.
In addition to strengthening public benefit programs, we are working to help bring a Good Food Purchasing Program (GFPP) to NYC, a program that focuses on five value areas: environmental sustainability; worker well-being; animal welfare; nutrition; and local economies. In partnership with the Food Chain Workers Alliance, CUNY's Urban Food Policy Institute and the Center for Good Food Purchasing NYC —and a growing coalition of stakeholders— our goal is to get the city to adopt this policy and use its enormous food purchasing power to benefit the local and regional food system.
What the job is:
CFA is looking for a Director of the NYC Good Food Purchasing Policy Campaign to lead the Good Food Purchasing Campaign work in NYC. This will entail building a highly effective coalition-based campaign, including working groups based on the five value areas of GFPP that maximize the partners’ expertise and resources. The Director will build a coalition that will strike the balance between working in collaboration with the city and providing external advocacy and accountability.
What the specific work is:
Build and an effective action-oriented, multi-sector, multi-prong coalition to, working in close collaboration with our core partners, to ensure citywide adoption of the Good Food Purchasing Policy.
Build and identify membership and leadership for working groups based on the five value areas of GFPP
· Ability to build and lead complex policy-based, multi-sector coalition
· Effective engagement key diverse partners
· Knowledge of food systems
· Knowledge of City Government structure and operations
· Experience developing and leading political strategy and effective follow through
· Knowledge of NYC political landscape
· Effectively manage multiple working groups
· Skilled meeting facilitator
5-7 years’ experience in related areas
RESPONSIBILITIES: This position’s responsibilities include:
- Direct, build, mobilize and sustain the NY GFPP Coalition.
- Direct research and other activities to implement GFPP.
- Participate in peer-‐learning network, to share and gain resources in supporting institutional food procurement changes from partners across the country.
- Work with Center for Good Food Purchasing to provide individual and group technical support to Good Food Providers.
- Work with CFA Executive Director and Director of Policy Campaigns, and core partners Food Chain Workers Alliance, CUNY Urban Food Policy Institute and the Center for Good Food Purchasing to collaborate with local decision makers and elected officials on GFPP opportunities to ensure robust implementation by local Good Food Providers.
Our IDEAL CANDIDATE will possess the following:
- Commitment to building racial and social justice through leadership
- development, community engagement
- Ability to develop innovative strategies and tactics for campaigns
- Experience in directing organizing and/or policy campaigns
- Experience building and managing effective policy driven coalitions
- Detail-oriented, demonstrated management skills, and ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills and verbal communication skills
- High levels of self-motivation and independence, as well as the eagerness to work in a collaborative team.
- Generous vacation, sick and personal time.
- Health insurance
- Flex spending
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Retirement plan available
Level of Language Proficiency
Conversational Spanish preferred
Minimum Education Required